Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean the 165

i dont got the money to play with a 175 haha

and i already have 2 144z coming in the mail. one on monday. one on thursday. looking at 2 different steps. i believe one is a 2e, and other maybe a ye. not sure.

and ill prob end up selling 1

This thread has got me going. I was going to go for an X2, but now I'm looking at the Opteron 148 at Monarch for $221. I see, here, experiences with the 144, 146, and 150. Any with the 148? Are all these Opterons E4 stepping or does the E6 only apply to the X2 chips. And, does it matter?

Question about nakedness. Has anybody noticed they can prime higher after getting naked? i realize temps will probably go down but I'm not convinced it will add to stability a great deal.

So far I can prime at 2700 small fft's at 1.4x110% for 9 minutes. I've tried 2800 even at 1.65 but no stability for more than a minute or two.

This is on cabye 0536gpmw from monarch. I'm a little disappointed to say the least. It's not bad at all 2.7 but 3 gig is certainly better. I think with this chip I'd need a prommie or maybe a good pelt to get it though.

MY load temps on prime get to 50 at 2.7 and higher at higher speeds.

Hi all. Spent yesterday trying different BIOS's. 623-3 brought more instability, as did 510-2FIX. Further, the 510-x do not offer one of the errata options, which apparently is important for dual cores. Long story short, went back to 704-2BTA for greatest stability.

Now officially prime stable at 2.95GHz at 1.504 using optimized defaults for memory settings (except for MAL/RP at 8/5.5). Going to finish up OCDB worthy screenshots this morning. Over the next few days I will be trying for 2.97 or so, and will try tighting up my memory. I don't think I can go a millivolt higher, as load temps are just under 50C now. Though Max Case Temp does not work for my chip, another with the same week/stepping reported his as 49C, so this explains my stability issues beyond 53C. The chip has a lot more headroom voltage wise, so I may ebay my 148 CABNE and get some water cooling in the not-too-distant future (think people will be interested in a chip that does 3.1GHz prime stable on air? :) ).

175295prime3d010si.png

Last note: a slew of people of bought 165's recently. We will know with a fair degree of certainty within the week whether DC Opterons are generally better than X2's; will let you know in first post as soon as enough results are in. PLEASE CHECK THE FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD FOR GENERAL QUESTIONS. I UPDATE IT SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK AS INFORMATION COMES IN. Many of the recent questions in this thread have been answered there. A potentially important theory regarding DC Opterons will be there in the next few hours...

EDIT: oh yeah, also got the 1.31 Beta of CPU-Z. Still doesn't handle DC Opterons well as shown above.