Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

i recommend you maybe change the thermal paste and try again tomorrow when it sets in

and most 939s i seen idle around 25-35c depending on airflow and room temps.

this should be fun when i get my 2x 144 by wednesday

i believe both are of CAB2E stepping. imma pray they will clock as good as the FX version.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the lastest version of smart guardian? as my temps when trying prime jumps to 66C, then when prime fails, it goes straight to 45C.

also what is a safe voltage for an opteron on air? 1.7v?

phil

Holy ., I thought for sure 66c was a typo. That would bring the greatest cpu in the world to a screehing halt. With an XP-120? Yes of course AS5, but I would spend some quality time to completely reseat that heatsink. And take a good look at case airflow. And if your brave you could remove the IHS.

Safe voltage for any cpu is ??? I would say voltage is the biggest killer of cpu's, even on Phase. When it doesn't kill your cpu it will reduce its lifespan, talking about really high volts here. I'd say 1.7 is too much especially on air, but regardless, with 66c temps voltage will not help you. All things IMO here.

it shows 66 but flucuates like mad, when prime stops goes suddenly back to 45C in 1 sec. so that why i ask if there is a better version of smart guardian than the one on the dfi cd.

going to reapply the thermal paste

phil

what is the lastest version of smart guardian? as my temps when trying prime jumps to 66C, then when prime fails, it goes straight to 45C.

also what is a safe voltage for an opteron on air? 1.7v?

phil

66c is way to high and im very suprised your cpu isnt dead yet, i wont let mine go to 50c under full load :shake:

as for volts, 1.7V max for GOOD water cooling or phase and 1.65V for GOOD air cooling but dont recommend them for 24/7 use & by the look of it, have you got a fan on that heatsink or are you using the stock one?

i dunno tho

i usually dont let me voltages go above 1.65 unless im just testing

and if that dont work. bring it down to 1.55 (my opinion the safest high voltage you can use with a 24.7 air cooling)

and find the max mhz on 1.55 instead

and live with it.

note . most thermal pastes requires a day or two to settle in. then thats why its performance is best. so dont worry if your temps dont go down tonight or something.

The allowed temperature by AMD is 65 degrees (60 for some CPUs).

This is why the CPU isn't dead.

the maxtcase on my 146 is 61c but hes hitting 66c plus hes not on stock voltages, but its your decision although id be very worried with them temps

Doubt under load @ -23c

-20c n' below you wouldnt had been able to boot up or run stable due to cold bug

Unless Vcore @ around 1.8v and above

I remember reading that the cold bug was fixed in Rev E. chips. Since the 939 Opterons are based on the San Deigo core, I doubt that they would have the cold bug.

All monitoring software gets the temps from the same sensors. You won't see any difference...okay...minimal if any :)

Idling at 45 is high...what were your temps at stock clocks and voltage?

Different monitoring software could use different algorithems to calculate the temp, different monitoring software could also be calibrated for different kinds of thermal sensors. I doubt that it would be more than a few degrees different though.