Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

why do you keep giving that link? it dont even have a 165 in it.

the 165 & 3800 are near identical, at least give a link to a proper review if you try to proove me wrong.

and if the 1mb cache doesnt mean anything, howcome the only difference between a 4600 & 4800 is the l2 cache? (cant wait for this answer)

sorry but the 1mb l2 is worth 200mhz on amd and is proven there.

by all means go buy a 3800, but the 165 is still better imo

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 165 & 3800 are near identical, at least give a link to a proper review if you try to proove me wrong.

and if the 1mb cache doesnt mean anything, howcome the only difference between a 4600 & 4800 is the l2 cache? (cant wait for this answer)

While Martin doesn't specifically compare the 3800 versus the 165, his benchmarks show two chips (one Venice and one Opteron) clocked at the same clockrate where one has 512KB of L2 cache and the other has 1MB of L2 cache. Not a single benchmark showed the mythical 10% gain.

I don't believe he needs to compare the X2-3800 and 165 specifically to support his argument.

And as far as the difference between 4600 & 4800, do you really buy into marketting labels?? Are you telling me that you believe the X2-4800 acts 1000 MHz faster than the X2-3800?

One or two cores or CPUs doesn't change the effectivity of the cache.

But even if it would, if you bothered to actually read that link I posted you would have seen that I have two runs, one with single-CPU and one with dual-CPU. And at 2.0 GHz no less, so this is highly relevant to the X2 3800+ versus Opteron 165 question.

If you don't think that is real you are delusional.

What does the fact that they are selling it have to do with the question how effective it is?

Proven where? Any performance numbers you might have to share?

BTW, your 165 broke your shift key.

The weird part is how narrow the difference between stable and totally unstable. With my X2 there was a huge span of slightly stable to where it was completely stable like fron 2.88 down to 2.816. I wonder if others are getting this on Opteron or is this my fluke.

I don't think this is a fluke...Still haven't had any real time to properly play with my 150 but it's a touchy lil bugger. After switching to NF3 Ultra D I couldn't get around a bug that locks the FSB at 217 with bios 824. Every bad habit of every bios I tried on this board was in full force with this puppy. Frustrating ;) Anyway, 602 let it run at 2.9 all the way through SuperPI 32M where as the RDX was failing miserably even at 2.8. Very sensitive to voltage changes. Lots of messing around left to be done. Back on 824 with an IDE drive which eliminates the 217 bug but now I'm failing at 2.9 again :D Lot's left to do but it's an uphill battle all the way...

I personally don't like cabbage.

My 165 is finally on its way from Monarch. Delays are killi'n me. As are these damn forums.

After failing to get the 3800 X2 in the PCDirect fiasco (AT forums is so touchy, there was no bait and switch just a typo, and there were only like 200 and some orders, though they had only like 20 chips. - BTW I was told that some shipped, so someone got those X2s for $230!)

Anyway sorry for the tangent. So like I said, I decided to try this. I have two weeks before I start my new job, and... well... I'm a dork. My wife things I'm crazy.

I just started farting with my 3200+ venice! Now I'm ripping it out to play with a 165.

BTW if the 165 turns out well anyone know anyone interested in a 3200+ venice that does over 2700 on air with killer timings and is less than a month old?

I have a first go in the database, I'll post my current settings there too, I traded a small amount of CPU for much better RAM speed and timings...

Lovin't this thread, thanks for all the info and of course I'll post my chip ID#s and stats as I work it.

OM

Hi, to all of you,

I´m Daniel from Portugal, i have a opteron 148 CABNE the one in the photo, i´m runing a promy with R404a....

http://www.aquapc.com/imagens/Produtos/148vsfx57.jpg

i supose that this is the SS WR no ?

3787 mhz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=47280

stable superpi as 3.35 Ghz

Best Regards to all ;)

stable superpi as 3.35 Ghz

So 3787 is just a suacide shot? Still, good times!

And thanks for that cpu pic. I have one simmilar as my wallpaper, showing an Opteron 146 with the same steps as a FX-57. Now I got one of my exact model (148), and even the same week (28).

What run superpi? (8m 16m 32m) I'm glad to see a CABNE 0528 not suffer from the cold bug, that bodes well for future possible dry ice for me!

yes, the 3.79 ghz are suicide shot..

my cpu starts to fail at -65º -70º at the cascade..

i got similar results in the promy and in the cascade.. it does not get much better in cascade.. more 100mhz

Contrariedad: why the hell you comparing single core to dual cores?

and has for the l2, i had a 3200 venice and a 144 and the 144 was faster even though it was 200mhz slower so i suggest you stop reading these perfetic reviews

basically you are sayin .. the l2 has no effect what so ever so everyone may aswell buy a x2 4600 as it has 512kb l2 and is obviously faster than a x2 4800 running at the same speed but with 1mb l2, nice one amd you get them back to front :rolleyes:

do some homework before you embarrass yourself again.

Martin Cracauer: i have read your review and isnt very good imo, as i said before, i benched a 144 & 3200 to compare them and the 144 won despite being 200mhz slower. your basically saying the same as the guy above, aload of random bull

you say prooven were, i told you so i strongly recommend you read it again :rolleyes: