Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Just ordered a 148 from Monarch - $207 + frt. I'll post what turns out.

And, tatts, I may be missing something, but the spec sheets from AMD show 64K L1 cache for the single-core Opterons and 64K +64K L1 on the single AMD64's. Again, though, I have no idea of what difference that might make or where it might have any impact.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, sorry that is not right. I did sig but the CPU is only thing in it which i do not have yet.

So I put in a 4000 as I Was going to get one. However money is a big problem after all that other new stuff!

Only trouble is im not sure how much I will be bottle necking running that system with a CABGE on such a big divider.

One difference between the Opteron chips and the "normal" AMD64 chips is the lack of the 64KB L1, Level 1 instruction cache (it uses only the 64KB L1 data cache). Is this signifigant and, if so, what would it effect?

That's nonsense, the L1 caches are exactly the same.

I'm not sure about a cabge. I thought I saw a 0540 one that was good but I can't remember for sure. Bang for the buck wise I'd definitely get an opteron over a 4000+. I'd wait or look hard for an 0540 cabye. Those things are stellar. 3100mhz occt stable at like 1.575.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...&page=100&pp=25

There's two on this page and they rule.

You guys are killing me, my head is spinning and I dont like it :shake: yes i do.

I have had my focus on the 3800x2 as per sig.but... now I am throwing the opteron 165,170 or possibly or a 150 into the pile. I game some, but I am more into usenet and media, which means alot of winrar and video conversion, can I get some imput from you guys I really just want to be able to unrar, encode, listen to music surf the net and game if I feel like it all at the same time. Would I be better served overclocking a 165 or 170 with a start of 1.8 or 2.0ghz or should I shoot for the 150 @ 2.4 sarting? I am a tad bit lost here, Thanks for any and all replys and let me just say you guys are really a great community, I hope that I can contribute to it one day.

165 175 . all the DCs are the same. except binned at higher multis.

save yourself some money. dont buy it if you already have a x2 3800. you wont gain much more.

unless your a single core follower like myself.

Just ordered a 148 from Monarch - $207 + frt. I'll post what turns out.

And, tatts, I may be missing something, but the spec sheets from AMD show 64K L1 cache for the single-core Opterons and 64K +64K L1 on the single AMD64's. Again, though, I have no idea of what difference that might make or where it might have any impact.

I am very intersted in what that stepping turns out to be!!!

Viper