Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

165 175 . all the DCs are the same. except binned at higher multis.

save yourself some money. dont buy it if you already have a x2 3800. you wont gain much more.

unless your a single core follower like myself.

Thats the thing I haven' purchased the cpu yet and am trying to figure which I should go witht

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stepping on my 150 received this week from Monarch is CABGE:drool:0534...Things did not go well at all on my RDX200. Things are looking better on my NF3 Ultra D. I won't go into detail until I get a warmer fuzzier feel...

Thats the thing I haven' purchased the cpu yet and am trying to figure which I should go witht

The Opteron 165 is clocked at 1.8Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

The X2 3800+ is clocked at 2.0Ghz per core with 512KB of L2 cache per core

The Opteron 170 is clocked at 2.0Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

The X2 4200+ is clocked at 2.2Ghz per core with 512KB of L2 cache per core

The Opteron 175 is clocked at 2.2Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

The X2 4400+ is clocked at 2.2Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

The X2 4600+ is clocked at 2.4Ghz per core with 512KB of L2 cache per core

The Opteron 180 is clocked at 2.4Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

The X2 4800+ is clocked at 2.4Ghz per core with 1MB of L2 cache per core

the x2 3800 & 165 are rougly the same price and amd claim the 1mb l2 is worth 200mhz so they'll both perform about the same at stock although i would go with the 165, hopefully will clock to 2.4ghz & you will have a 4800 were the 3800 would need to hit 2.6ghz to achieve 4800 speeds.

hope this makes sense and clears up the dual core's :D

T

the x2 3800 & 165 are rougly the same price and amd claim the 1mb l2 is worth 200mhz[...]

This is incorrect

http://cracauer-forum.cons.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

Games benchmarks elsewhere also show the bigger cache to get much less than the almost 10% performance you get our of 10% more clockspeed.

The Operon 165 might overclock better than an average 3800. But you might bend the odds by choosing a Toledo 3800+.

New to the site and just getting back into building a new system. I was wondering which processor to go with, I was planning on getting a X2 3800+ but for the same price could I get an Opteron with more potential.

Thanks in advance

New to the site and just getting back into building a new system. I was wondering which processor to go with, I was planning on getting a X2 3800+ but for the same price could I get an Opteron with more potential.

Thanks in advance

The Opteron isn't officially supported on DFI mobo's which means that for a first-time user it may not be the best idea. If you get an Opteron and have no need for support then you'll be all set. However, if you do need help some of the forum admins here are not supposed to help because it's an Opteron.

In your shoes I'd go with the X2 3800+ which is a great chip. In a future build you might get braver and try the Opteron.

EDIT: I don't mean to suggest you're a first-time builder but you did suggest that you're a first-time DFI user? There's a fair amount of learning curve to really get good with overclocking on these boards. But it's a lot of fun!

This is incorrect

Games benchmarks elsewhere also show the bigger cache to get much less than the almost 10% performance you get our of 10% more clockspeed.

The Operon 165 might overclock better than an average 3800. But you might bend the odds by choosing a Toledo 3800+.

i dont see the 165 in that test :rolleyes:

and if the cache doesnt make any difference, howcome my 144 was faster than my 3200 venice both at stock?

2439157.JPG

23hourPrime.JPG

I Think I've found my max on this 150, can't seem to squeeze anything more out of it. Did the 23 hours prime at 245*12 and this last SuperPi at 247*12.

I couldn't finish a 32m at 247*12 until I had completed the 23 hour Prime

at 245*12. At 248*12 freezes as soon as I boot into X64 and I tried upping Vcore to 1.50*113% and that was extent of my fearlessness.

It's holding okay on 247*12 right now but no load either, just the internet.

The weird part is how narrow the difference between stable and totally unstable.

With my X2 there was a huge span of slightly stable to where it was completely stable like fron 2.88 down to 2.816. I wonder if others are getting this on Opteron or is this my fluke.

Contrary to common belief the 2x 1.8 GHz 2x 1024 KB cache Opteron 165 will not be as fast as the 2x 2.0 GHz 2x 512 KB X2 3800+.

For most applications the bigger cache is almost useless and even those where it counts it gives you a lot less than the almost 10% increase of the clockspeed step.

Benchmarks:

Many people think the Opteron will overclock better but for the 165 that is unproven, whereas most 3800+ Toledos overclock pretty good.