unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0550 upmw are nice chips but most of the really high ocs are on phase...Have seen one yet on WC or air...I owuld love to get one that would just 2700 at lower vcore than my 0546

I've had a 165 and a 170 that both run 2.7Ghz+ @ 1.45v on air :eek2:

Haha, seems that I got the worst 0550UPMW made lol

Needs 1.550v*1.04% for 2.7GHz and won't go much higher.

Mayhaps I need to reseat the heatsink, I am quite ghetto in my cpu changing ways heh.

Or maybe a candidate for IHS removal? (Not too keen on this, cos the Typhoon is a heavy HSF combo).

ok right now dual priming at 2800mhz, temps are reading on mbm at full load 41c on air this is with 1.56v (bios) and 11/25/05 bios verision. With lower voltage core 1 craps out. core 0 is much much stronger as I ran prime at 3000mhz and core 1 fail imediately but core 0 kept going for 5hrs. before it failed (on air) Also wondering if by getting a better fan will improve my temps. now mine is a delta 79cfm thinking of a delta 142 cfm.

any thoughts ?

Expert temps reported may not be accurate..I have seen several report 8-10C higher temps

I live in Tampa and use an SI 120 on DFI SLI DR and with 1.5v ..I get load temps near 50C(47-49) with large fft,.....I am using a low flow fan and your delta maybe making a big difference

Nice overclock

Well folks, my Opty 165 just went up in smoke, yeah the same one on my sig, and yeah the same one on the OCDB. There goes 300 mullahs! I bought a new case for it, got the Apogee block and also UV stuff, it booted up and was on the bios then spark and smoke, DEAD, D-E-A-D. Tried on my SLI-DR but it only confirms that it is dead. I'm glad it did not take the Expert with it.

I just want to vent out my grief and share my loss with you guys before I finalize another purchase with a 165 on ZZfly, any condolences will be greatly appreciated.

AJ

Were you running the 12/07 bios when it killed your cpu? there has been a lot of discussion on the xtremesystems forums about expert boards frying cpu's by overvolting the chips to around 3 volts on boot, even with no overclock. it's a design flaw in some of the expert boards that was supposedly fixed with the 12/07. I'm running and expert right now so I'm hoping I'm among the lucky majority who doesn't have this problem, but there's no way to know until something happens, if something happens.