unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opteron 170 2.0GHz CPU @ 2.78GHz no more I think my OCZ Ram is holding me back from hitting that sweet and covited 2.8 -29 GHz but I just love it !

I was stuck at 2.75- 2.78Ghz as well........ I have found that these Opterons are VERY sensitive to memory timings. There is a very good way to find if it is your CPU or memory holding you back.....

Run OCCT 30 minute torture test- I've never had a CPU pass this and not pass prime small or large fft's or blend. I have however, had a CPU fail this 30 minute torture test and pass prime small fft's (cpu stress only), but not large fft's or blend where memory is stressed more.

I could not figure out why my cpu would only pass prime small fft's but not OCCT, large fft's or blend.... then I relaxed my cas from 2.5 to 3....... my sandra memory scores are 150pts. HIGHER with cas 3.0 than cas 2.5??

My system has now been running AG's custom prime blend for 16+ hrs. at 2.80Ghz w/ 1.48v.

With the memory controller on die, every CPU may need to be tweaked for the best memory timings. My 146 was great up to 292fsb 1:1 w/ cas 2.5, but not this 170. It makes OC'ing more challenging!! I use CMOS reloaded to save specific CPU's best settings.

mines prime stable at 3000 both cores for 11 hours soon as I boot 3D Mark or 3d Game the computer crashes or freezes in game with sound looping sure its a ram problem my 148 was good up to 3400 with these ram settings bit puzzled whats causing it.

Any of you haveing similar problems?

hmm..sounds more like a videocard, driver issue

Few people have mentioned that, but would that reboot a system occasionally aswell as crashing ingame with sound looping?

I don't think thats the problem as when I take me CPU down to 2.8 it does'nt crash ingame, only once I seem to recall.

To the other guy above yeah I'm pretty aware its not stable :rolleyes:, point is that it dual primes for 11 hours on blend, sure its something to do with the ram.

Edit : Just ran 3Dmark at 2.8 and it freezes, although I can play hours of need for speed mostwanted I installed 3 days ago and it has crashed about once on me.

Yup pic of the 12 hour 52 min prime and my rig attached.

damnit!! i want phase!

I think your problem my be your drivers....i can't see why you would pass dual prime but yet crash in games if it were your hardware. What version of windows are you running? x64?

CJ

mines prime stable at 3000 both cores for 11 hours soon as I boot 3D Mark or 3d Game the computer crashes or freezes in game with sound looping sure its a ram problem my 148 was good up to 3400 with these ram settings bit puzzled whats causing it.

Any of you haveing similar problems?

4 X 512 sticks perhaps?

damnit!! i want phase!

I think your problem my be your drivers....i can't see why you would pass dual prime but yet crash in games if it were your hardware. What version of windows are you running? x64?

CJ

Don't think so it runs game stable at 2450 but even at those settings it wont pass 3dmark, higher I raise it more unstable it is I'm sure that would be nothing to do with GFX drivers because why is it reacting differently when I raise the FSB?, it does'nt make sense but I'm sure its down to ram settings so here they are these ran fine on my 148 prime stable and game stable fine.

FSB Frequency = 300

LDT/FSB Frequency ration = 3

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio = 10

PCI Express Frequency = 100

CPU VID Control = 1.425

CPU VID Special Control = 110%

LDT Voltage = 1.3

Chipset Voltage = 1.6

Dram Voltage = 3.45

Dram Frequency Set = 166Ram/FSB:09/10

CPC = Disabled

Cas Latency Control = 2

Ras to Cas delay = 3

Min Ras active time = 6

Row Percentage time = 3

Row Cycle Time = 12

Row refresh cycle time = 24

row to row delay = 3

write to recovery time = 3

write to read delay = 2

read to write delay = 3

Refresh Period = 3072

Dram bank interleave = disabled

DQS Skew control = Increase Sqew

DQS Skew value = 128

DRAM Drive strength = weak 4

Dram date drive strength = level 2

Max Asnyc Latency = 0.90 nano seconds

Dram response time = fastest

Read Preamble time = 0.60 nano seconds

IDLEcycle limit = 256

Dynamic Counter = Disabled

RW Queue Bypass = 16x

Bypass Max = 07x

32 Byte Granularity = Disabled (4 Burst)