unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

well it looks like the 0547TPMW is a pretty good chip. here are some early results for my [email protected], voltage set in bios to 1.4 + 104.8%. I only primed for 26 minutes, the temps went up to 39C, which means more like 49C since it's an Expert board. I'm probably going to turn it back down to 2.6GHz for another week or so until my AS5 sets before running 8+ hours of prime at 2.7GHz. I'm sure this chip could go up to 2.8GHz with a little extra voltage, but I'm not really that interested, it's already fast as hell at 2.6GHz.

link to the screen shot shortly after stopping prime95:

http://www.rit.edu/~mws8726/random_pics/results.jpg

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, time for me to post and stop missing out on all the fun. Got my 170 bout 3 weeks ago with all the other stuff in sig. This is my first build and OC. Been reading and playing around with bios to understand it all first, with some help from many diffrerent sources. According to the guide on this site, these are my findings:

Max HTT/FSB:335

Max cpu:280 @1.55

Max mem: [email protected] 2.5,3,3,8 passed memtest #5 for 5 passes and passed superpi.

Right now as I speak I'm priming95 going on 18+ hours, going for 24. So far this is where is set at:

HTT 275x10.

LDT:3

Mem running @229 with a 5:6 divider @ 2.5,3,.3,10.

Temps :cpu:43 PWMIC39, chipset:31 according to Smartguardian. Had to put an extra fan on the 3 ram sinks above the chipset fan. Not sure what they are called. Dropped the temps from 59c to 39c. Obviously a minor mod in near future. Of course the room temp is 60F.

Do you see this as max? I plan on buying some DDR 500. Or do you think its pointless and leave it the way it is? This thread has been very helpful and I hope to help someone else out too. Thanks guys!

My Opteron 165 is 0547 TPMW also. Very nice cpu for me. Running 2718 Mhz (302*9) at 1.45v in BIOS (CPUz and MBM5 report 1.41v but I've verified with meter that voltage at idle is 1.45v also). Can get higher at higher voltage but really no noticable effect on speed and I prefer the lower temps.

Link to Screen shot

CPU Temperature was running at 42-43C before shutting down Prime95 to show duration. PWMIC and DFI Chipset were as show (+/- 1C) during run.

@ OTT - oh man, I want to play with that chip! You GOT to pop the top off!

@ boozer - all of my Opterons crap out when temps get around 48+ degrees. In my opinion, temps are definitely holding you back. Check your PM in about 5 minutes.

The 0550 UPMW is a strange stepping: i have seen some 165 go straight to 2.8, some others don't pass 2.6, no matter the applied voltages or good/bad temps :confused:

For the 175 it's the same: it seems that the 170 is the best choice for 0550 UPMW, performing very well with "no bad surprise" in OC capabilities (2.8 seems normal for the 170)

I think maybe this mess is caused by poor assembly line, because i have seen that taking off the IHS REALLY IMPROVED the performance in 165 & 175 0550 UPMW---> some 175 can hit 3000+ :eek: with no prob after taking off the IHS!!!

If someone have done this, please post results!!!