What happened around here.

slick2500

Frank retired from the computer world. He is still around if your FB buddies with him.

I haven't personally chatted with him in about 3 years. Once I took over video cards he vanished.

Now im gone from OCC as well. TPU keeps me busy with the Alder Lake release. Playing around with DDR5-6400 memory right now. Its crazy how fast these are. I still remember buying DDR-400 ans thinking it was amazing. 

• ir_cow pinned this topic
19 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Frank retired from the computer world. He is still around if your FB buddies with him.

I haven't personally chatted with him in about 3 years. Once I took over video cards he vanished.

Now im gone from OCC as well. TPU keeps me busy with the Alder Lake release. Playing around with DDR5-6400 memory right now. Its crazy how fast these are. I still remember buying DDR-400 ans thinking it was amazing. 

It is the nature of things to advance towards something, whether that is a new opportunity or rest.

Of course that does make me somewhat unnatural as I've been here a decade and more-or-less plan to stick around as long as I can. (Where else can I share my experiments, like the GPU Thermal Trends article?)

• 5 weeks later...

I got old and started a family. Also theres just not much need to build cutting edge rigs these days as mentioned, also rigs last 5-10 years now.

I'll never forget the old days. I still keep this page as my home page when I open chrome, I have since I joined.

• Like 1

Forums are a dying breed. Older users are busy with work and family, while the younger generation moving in is more likely to use different platforms.

The amount of new users joining forums seemed to start falling off around 2016, and now it's in the dozens per year, compared to 2008 where it was hundreds or thousands.

• 5 months later...

I've personally kind of lost interest in the hobby.  Haven't bothered with overclocking anything in years.  I used to love tinkering and modding but these days I just care that it boots up.  Knock on wood that my 1080ti doesn't die on me anytime soon as replacing it right now would suck.

In general I think forums just aren't as popular anymore.  Seems like Facebook groups and Reddit have pretty much taken over the role that forums provided.

I've not really overclocked anything for years either. Just the Threadripper I've been using for years now. The 2700X in the test system, however, is manually undervolted, and I use the auto-undervolt (not the same, but still effective) on the RX Vega 64. Used to have the RX 580 undervolted too, but after some driver update (don't remember which) it wasn't stable anymore and I've not bothered trying again with it.

With how well things can manage their own boosts now, undervolting seems more worthwhile than overclocking, unless you are going to invest the time to tune it.

The nice thing about forums and why I hope they never die is there are an open space where anyone can enter, and once in can enjoy the community. I avoid Facebook and am not on Reddit, but at least the latter seems more focused on the topic. With a forum, once you are a member of the community you can share parts of your life with the community, even if it doesn't relate to the topic. For example, we've had threads here on car restoration and wasn't there also a thread on firearms? Nothing to do with overclocking and not spam either; just someone sharing part of their life the community, and then others joining.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to look in, havent in a long time... As mentioned no need to overclock anything any more computers are plenty powerful, just getting older got into classic cars and going to car shows is about all I do any more...

HEY RR ! whats up !! good to see another oldtimer around  ...Cool Beans !!

Actually I'm starting to prepare for the  upcoming AM5s and putting together a tentative parts list....

I was chatting with ir_cow over at TPU the other day about ddr5 and new jedecs and stuff ... this is gonna be a very interesting next couple of years... well i'm looking forward to it if nobody else is...

Have a really Happy 4th of July !!:cheers:

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 2:08 AM, cjloki said:

HEY RR ! whats up !! good to see another oldtimer around  ...Cool Beans !!

Actually I'm starting to prepare for the  upcoming AM5s and putting together a tentative parts list....

I was chatting with ir_cow over at TPU the other day about ddr5 and new jedecs and stuff ... this is gonna be a very interesting next couple of years... well i'm looking forward to it if nobody else is...

Have a really Happy 4th of July !!:cheers:

Looking forward to AM5 as well. Had my 5950x for some time now, so it will be good to move on to something more powerful and challenging.

It is sad to see the forum as dead as it is now. The truth is though, we all grow older, have other priorities and new interests. I'm no exception to that, although i still keep up with new tech, cars and motorbikes do interest me more than clocking and benching now days.

Edited by kitfit1