What happened around here.

slick2500

7 hours ago, kitfit1 said:

Looking forward to AM5 as well. Had my 5950x for some time now, so it will be good to move on to something more powerful and challenging.

It is sad to see the forum as dead as it is now. The truth is though, we all grow older, have other priorities and new interests. I'm no exception to that, although i still keep up with new tech, cars and motorbikes do interest me more than clocking and benching now days.

I'm not sure if I've said it before, but I think I've been spoiled by Threadripper, so while AM5 does look interesting, I'm looking forward to sTR5, or whatever the next Threadripper platform will be. Just knowing I can throw basically any workload at it, and have more PCIe lanes than I'll ever have a use for is pretty nice.

As far as the forums, it does feel like a generational thing, doesn't it? Like as some of the older generation move on with their lives, we aren't getting a new generation to fill the vacancies. It is disappointing, but I'll try to be around as long as I can. If nothing else, this is a great place to build my data applets for. Already have that video game performance one and I've got another I need to finish the associated article for. Interactive data is a pretty awesome tool.

I'm hoping the Threadripper non-Pro line returns with better pricing, but that will depend on availability. (My belief is regular Threadripper 5000 has been squeezed out because AMD had limited supply and had to prioritize Ryzen and Epyc, so if things are improved with Zen 4, Threadripper should return.) That and I wouldn't go for the highest core count. Probably 24 or 32 core would be plenty for me and which would come down to clock speed.

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice that the forums were updated? When did that happen?

I still spend 90% of my time with my rc stuff and moderating the Arrma forums. I am quite literally working on 5 different rigs at the moment. 

Been giving paining bodies a shot lately and have really been enjoying the Spaz Stix color change paints.

Spaz Stix Gold/Orange/Purple/Red. Secondary color is Duratrax metallic silver.

20220816_202444.thumb.jpg.a57fbcf30c341afc23bfca86fe99d271.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.47179d99e7045d356a78cd22b37d0f18.jpeg

Dish soap paintjob again with Spax Stix gold/orange/purple/red and silver as the secondary color.20210820_025723.thumb.jpg.b42719a41522f1446e8c5c70c9fd888d.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.0dd66745600c80a5476b2cbe6f2d3c66.jpeg

Spaz Stix gold/orange/purple/green.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ba40e6ee1983768c1066c2853b9791d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.071b1e0f3527037c9ec161df94d24550.jpeg

Another member did this body for me. Hydrodipped with freaky mushroom film then painted with Tamiya Purple/Green. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8f0e16b5a8be3683857bf6d57cb0371e.jpeg

IMG_9602.thumb.JPG.e43851fcff2a4347ac26915cec471c56.JPG

I don't remember when the changes to the forum happened, but it has been a bit.

Those are pretty neat, and I especially like the dish soap paint job, but the hydro dip is also cool. My hobbies do not have quite as much potential for beauty, though I think some have potential.

Here's the latest keyboard build I did actually some weeks ago now. Didn't do a write-up on it as it isn't too dissimilar from one I already covered, though it is a lot more colorful. More RGB LEDs on the bottom, and I added in-switch LEDs, blue for the mods, green for the alphas, and I think it came out rather well with the shine-through keycaps and the milk acrylic case.

DSC_0272.jpgDSC_0290.jpgDSC_0294.jpgDSC_0295.jpgDSC_0301.jpg

I should be doing another build before long, and that one I will write up as it will be a bit different, as it features a compact, ortholinear layout. That means fewer keys and they're all aligned on a grid, rather than being staggered. Going to be quite interesting learning to type on it.

• 5 months later...

I agree with the OP. I recall back in the day (I joined back in '04) this website was flooded with questions, answers, opinions, rants, raves, reviews and just plain being here. It was a glorious time back then. IMO, it's the sign of the times. As Bishop said some years back, people move on. Life changes, kinda sucks but...it is what it is. 

OCC is my very first Forum I've joined and I will always be here 'till the end! 

Edited by Encrypted_God
Added additional info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, it sure has been a minute.

What's happened here seems to be happening to some degree at a lot of the old-head places like [H], Guru3D, OCN, Rage3D and so on. Probably, life getting in the way is a big part of it, but, it also seems like there is not a strong supply of young folks coming in after us. And for whatever reason, OCC has been impacted a lot more than other places.

As for me, like a lot of us, growing up/getting older saw my priorities evolve. I really started getting into computers when I was 7, and until my 20s, computers were for games, and I played a lot of them. I'm still interested in computers and games, for sure, but just not in the same way I used to be. These days I see more value in the portability and small footprint of DTR laptops, so I'm naturally less in need of individual components, and so, too, I don't pay as much attention to what's new as I used to. I also use my computer for other stuff like audio/video editing in addition to playing games, and even all that's just a part of how I spend my time. Often I have to choose between my hobbies, because there just isn't enough time to tend to all of them all of the time.

That's how it goes sometimes. Cheers to y'all out there!

I agree. What's hard to ingest for us old School guys is?....... technology evolves. Us old "people" knew it was going to happen. But personally feel saddened. As I said, occ was FLOODED with people asking for help. And occ/us were there for all to help to OC that chip.

To Bosco?

I will always be a dedicated member. All my best to you.