NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

The vertical resolution doesn't scale. So it'd be 7680 x 1600. ;)

It does if you have NINE MONITORS! :O

Lol, really though, I derped right there :P

@ Jim: It wouldn't be nearly as awesome, not even close ;)

Yeah, but what is the point of testing the lower resolution when you know that they will get better framerates than the benches at higher res? For instance, if the 680 is producing 80 fps at 1080p or higher, I know it is going to perform better at the lower res.

Testing more than one resolution provides more statistical significance. Looking at an individual card, lower resolutions will produce higher FPS, but that doesn't mean the leader in the higher res is the leader in the lower res, so yes, it does matter. I for one am disappointed to see just one resolution being testing.

I thought bosco said this card was selling for 499$

every card I see for sale is just shy of 600$ except I did find one zotac at that price though it was not available for purchase

I think stores are probably just adding items to their website, most likely

anyway, I hope AMD prices drop fast, I almost bought my 7870 this week but now I need to put those plans on hold

Edited by potatochobit

every card I see for sale is just shy of 600$ except I did find one zotac at that price though it was not available for purchase

anyway, I hope AMD prices drop fast, I almost bought my 7870 this week but now I need to put those plans on hold

They are: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600315498&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20600%20series

What you're finding is what isn't sold out and people jacking up the price of a low supply item.

Its supposed to be $499 USD. Major retailers like Newegg & Tigerdirect have it for that price, but they are sold out. Anywhere you see it higher is just marking it up to profit off the limited availability.

EDIT - Dang, ninja'd by Coors :lol:

Edited by 90sgamer

Where do you buy from bilcliff?

MSY who have stores on wellington rd in clayton (not far from Monash uni), They also have one in East Malvern (not far from Monash uni caulfield). Locations here. Their service is pretty awful and most of the staff (if not all) are asian who dont have the best of english. But they're almost always cheaper by a significant margin.

Then there's CPL. They're on howleys rd notting hill, just off ferntree gully rd less than 1km from the blackburn rd offramp on the monash fwy

having a look at price lists though it appears that PC Case gear has stepped up and isn't as ridiculously overpriced as they once were. PCCG are $5-10 more expensive for CPUs. altough the a few of the HDDs are $20+ more expensive at pccg. The WD 500GB ABYX $139 CPL, $159 PCCG, WD 2TB 2003FYYS$309 CPL, $349 PCCG. Plus PCCG dont have a retail store, you need to order online first and from my experience you still end up waiting around for 20mins while they get your order that was "ready" for collection.

sorry i've gone way off topic back OT:

Testing more than one resolution provides more statistical significance. Looking at an individual card, lower resolutions will produce higher FPS, but that doesn't mean the leader in the higher res is the leader in the lower res, so yes, it does matter. I for one am disappointed to see just one resolution being testing.

:withstupid: sure us (most of the forum regulars) have high end systems with massive screen resolutions, but my sister still games on a 17" 1400x900. what leads at 1920x1080 may not be the best price/performance at 1680x1050 (closest to 1400x900). and if we only do reviews at 1920x1080 we're potentially cutting off potential readers from the mid-low end market i.e. anyone looking to do a cheap / budget upgrade for a family member. i.e. me :P

Plus by not having test as many resolutions, the reviewers can get the work done faster, so reviews can be posted faster. That or they actually get to have a life outside of their computer case(s).

Oh wait, Bosco will probably tell them to just take the time to run Eyefinity and Surround tests.

Bosco already stated the reasons for the switch. Its not so much to get the review done faster as testing a single card is easy. Its when they all decide to drop new drivers at the last minute that really f's up the works.

sorry i've gone way off topic back OT:

This hold thread has been all over the place.

I stopped using msy and cpl due mainly to product range I have occasionally gotten stuff from them but in the end for a full build I usually grab everything in one shot and may loop back via msy and cpl if there is something good going.

There have been a few stores with the 680 at $650 but not the Asus model which has been $700 and up like it really makes a difference when it is reference.

Are you referring to the results from the review and why there is both a GTX 570 and GTX 580 in them?

No, I was saying that they are different cards so you can't compare clock speeds even though they are the same series of cards. The GTX 580 is more powerful than the 570, so why put the clocks the same to see "how they compare."