NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

Wait for overclocked version, or with better cooler version.

The OC version is just a manufacturer charging you more for a card that you could OC for free :lol: A better cooler is a different story ;) But that is a moot point when my ref ASUS 680 goes under water :P

Sorry if I'm not first to mention this, but the charts on page 13 seem to be inversed between stock temps and OC temps.

It is a pretty standard proceedures to test stock with no changes to the fan profile and load with 100% fan which naturally means that more often than not the overclocked temps will be down on stock because than fan could be moving as much maybe more maybe less than 50-100% faster than what it was running in stock testing.

It is a pretty standard proceedures to test stock with no changes to the fan profile and load with 100% fan which naturally means that more often than not the overclocked temps will be down on stock because than fan could be moving as much maybe more maybe less than 50-100% faster than what it was running in stock testing.

Thanks, I kinda skipped over the methodology. :blush:

Maybe you're forgetting the HD 7970 released months before the GTX 680?

This is how it always is. One company releases a top-end card that is the one to get, then a few months later the other company releases a top-end card that beats the competitor's offering. It is all just one big tug of war to see who can take the top crown for a few months before getting upstaged and then releasing an even more powerful card later on.

Computer hardware is constantly like this. To say you have the most powerful whatever is a short lived statement at best. No matter what product you release and/or buy, there will always be something just over the edge to beat it. If you're a consumer, the only thing you can do is look at what is available, compare it to what you need, and then buy whatever your budget allows.

To be constantly upgrading is literally throwing money away because there will always be something just a little better releasing in the future. You can't just be like "well I'm going to get the GTX 680 now and then see whatever the GK110 is like and buy that!" There is no need to be throwing away money like that when the gains are going to be minimal at best.

Btw, the "you" I'm referring to is people in general, not a specific individual.

No rep thing to +1 :(

:P

I'll probably skip GK110 and wait for a nm die shrink - and the money I will save from downgrading the 7970s to a 680 will be used for a new SSD and the rest given back to my dad to assist our holiday to the beach in May :biggrin:

I need to take screenshots. Once the GK110 comes out, I have a feeling you're going to switch over to it. ;)

I need to take screenshots. Once the GK110 comes out, I have a feeling you're going to switch over to it. ;)

Maybe if its extremely extremely well-priced ;)

Not my problem :P

PS: How do you figure SLI scaling on it sucks?

This slide from techpowerup.com shows that the GTX 680 gets a 70% performance boost in SLI at high resolutions (2560x1600). Of course, any resolutions lower than that it's kind of a waste as you can't possibly use the all the power two GTX 680's would provide. Also, according to this HardwareHeaven review, the GTX 680 got a 91% SLI boost in 3DMark 2011 for it's Extreme Score. Obviously there's a lot more to consider, but I'm not gonna go through every result. Just pointing out some instances where it scales very well.

Nice, though that also serves as a reminder that I'm blessed to have my 5970 and still needn't upgrade for quite a bit (I had a feeling this would turn into the new 4870x2) :teehee:

Check out this version of the 680. Bottom pic = now that's on air :lol:

I WANT IT!!! (with my frankenstein case, it would look right at home :biggrin: )

AMD has to make it up somewhere...Bulldozer was a joke at release...they have to compete with graphics instead!

But they're making it up to the wrong competitor, their APU graphics already wipe the floor with Intel's ;)

:cheers: Beat me to it

:P

I'll probably skip GK110 and wait for a nm die shrink - and the money I will save from downgrading the 7970s to a 680 will be used for a new SSD and the rest given back to my dad to assist our holiday to the beach in May :biggrin:

NO! 30" monitor now! (or maybe hunt down that 27" monitor whose name escapes me that's a great deal cheaper than the 30" ones but has 2560x1400 resolution)

This card is stellar, it's got all the 3 P's (Price, Performance, and Power [Consumption]) in checkmate. I knew Nvidia had it in them...though if this truly is the midrange then that makes sense, since like the 460 and 560 (Ti), Nvidia has always released a bombshell of a product in the "mid range".... though $500 is hardly midrange (maybe if this is to serve as their second best). It's definitely the best card out no matter how one can view it though

Oh and hi everyone! :woot:

Oh and hi everyone! :woot:

Stop slacking slacker!

You don't deserve that high speed Avatar until you learn how to multi-task better and spend more time on the OCC Beach.