Osama Bin Laden is dead

CowKing

Rejoicing over the fact that Osama can't inflict anymore death because he is dead himself IMHO is not barbaric, it's natural :cheers:

But it can get some people angry in the middle east and create motivation for more attacks Osama's terrorist organization isn't the only Muslim terrorist organization in the world

In America, it is a person's right to celebrate what they want! Just as it is another person's right not to celebrate!

Being allowed to do so doesn't make something morally right. It just gives people freedom to do what they want.

I'm allowed to be racist, and I could go around making fun of minorities, but that doesn't mean I have to. (And I don't)

Edited by l33t p1mp

But it can get some people angry in the middle east and create motivation for more attacks Osama's terrorist organization isn't the only Muslim terrorist organization in the world

Which is exactly why we didn't drag his body through the streets and act like heathens :thumbsup:

Being allowed to do so doesn't make something morally right. It just gives people freedom to do what they want.

What is "morally right" is also an "opinion!" But, I know that my internal satisfaction that Osama is dead isn't morally wrong! However you may have a different opinion about that, and you are intitled to it! My main point was that some on this thread were portraying their "opinion" on what is right as a "fact" about what is right!

While you make a good point here, I really have to take Speedway's side on this point. It's important that we do express our freedoms, and to not do so because we might be attacked would also be wrong, we shouldn't allow fear or threats take away our right to do something. The reason for why we shouldn't celebrate it should be out of respect, not fear.

While you make a good point here, I really have to take Speedway's side on this point. It's important that we do express our freedoms, and to not do so because we might be attacked would also be wrong, we shouldn't allow fear or threats take away our right to do something. The reason for why we shouldn't celebrate it should be out of respect, not fear.

I completely agree

And some of us are choosing to express our freedom by not celebrating a man's death. I truly believe it is wrong to celebrate death regardless of if it would anger another or not. I am also glad to hear he received the proper burial rights and a proper burial at sea.

Myself and others are just expressing our feelings about that on this forum, a place welcome to opinions as well as facts.

ya they probably wound't have for a while cause of their kamikaze beliefs and stuff, you can't change history ( you didn't try to im just saying something diff.) but we can learn from our mistakes, although governments and those greedy 'top' men will never learn... didn't germany pull out from libya cause they thought what they was doing was wrong?

We were saying something different?

Anyhow, yes we can learn from mistakes of the past. That's what hindsight is for; regret. We can also learn from others mistakes: Mussolini Death Photos. I would be ashamed of my nation if it allowed something like this to happen. You may still think it's all just about our freedoms but tell me where in the Constitution does it say anyone can do that to an enemy? That's not liberty, it is disgusting. (A free opinion.)

We've been arguing the morality, or lack thereof, of celebrating the death of a man for nearly 10 pages. All I have to say is, Morality is 100% subjective. There is no such thing as right or wrong, only what we believe is right or wrong.

Wow. This thread has so many well though out opinions, many of which i agree with in differing amounts.

Btw, before i try and articulate, will ya'll stop bringing up the A-bombs! There is no comparison, we were at war, we had a weapon to use to end the war(or that bit of it) so why not use it? I would have. It also gave the added advantage of showing how deadly A-bombs where and their long term impact, this leading to tighter restrictions on nuclear weaponry and thankfully none have been used since.

*Note: My religious views influence the following thoughts. Please feel free to discuss but please respect my beliefs, as has been said i am free to my own beliefs and opinions.*

As far as feelings over Osama Bin Ladens death go; I am not happy or sad, i pity him, and i also respect him for persevering in his faith(however misguided) and for his obvious ability to organize. I dont agree with his beliefs and i dont approve of what he used his organizational talents for, but we can still give him some respect. I pity him as i dont think any man should have to live out his life in hiding, its not a life. He may have been a horribly violent and diabolical terrorist but could you live the last ten years of your life hiding only to be woken up and shot. No time to say goodbye no time to repent your evils. I do mourn the fact that such a brilliant man was fighting on the wrong side, and that he will spend eternity in hell. I pity any man who chooses that. It seems to me that he walked into it with his eyes open, he knew that sooner or later he would be found but he insisted on fighting it out to the end, that perseverance is something more people need. Now im not saying that everyone should become radical Muslim terrorists, far from it, but that we should all find something that we can believe in.

I still dont have that cohesive enough but i think you get the gist of what im trying to say.

And some of us are choosing to express our freedom by not celebrating a man's death. I truly believe it is wrong to celebrate death regardless of if it would anger another or not. I am also glad to hear he received the proper burial rights and a proper burial at sea. Myself and others are just expressing our feelings about that on this forum, a place welcome to opinions as well as facts.

The problem arises when people try to express their feelings and opinions as absolute facts, which a few here are guitly of :whistling: I am all about SCREAMING my feelings and opinions at the top of my lungs, and proudly :biggrin: But, I also know that they are just that, opinions ;) But, like you I am very glad that we did not parade his body or photos of his death around like the "barbarians" that we are not! Although we differ on the fact that I feel some satisfaction over the fact that he is dead and you do not, our opinions on the humanity issue when it comes to how our nation dealt with his death are very similiar :thumbsup: But, again, I am not a monster, a barbarian, or just like "them" for being relieved that Osama is no longer on this earth!

We've been arguing the morality, or lack thereof, of celebrating the death of a man for nearly 10 pages. All I have to say is, Morality is 100% subjective. There is no such thing as right or wrong, only what we believe is right or wrong.

Great way to put it :thumbsup: I have been saying this for 2 pages ;)

The problem with that is that it's the exact reason for why people are able to justify murder. I mean in Osama's eyes, 9/11 was a good thing, that was part of his belief, that doesn't actually make it right. What we believe in and we should actually do are completely different, morals are not subjective, opinions are though. If morals really were 100% subjective, it would be 100% impossible to say something is right or wrong because you would still be wrong every single time.

The problem with that is that it's the exact reason for why people are able to justify murder. I mean in Osama's eyes, 9/11 was a good thing, that was part of his belief, that doesn't actually make it right. What we believe in and we should actually do are completely different, morals are not subjective, opinions are though. If morals really were 100% subjective, it would be 100% impossible to say something is right or wrong because you would still be wrong every single time.

Welcome to Existentialism where you're wrong all the time and nothing really matters.