NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

Just two short questions, maybe there's something new.

First, I'd like to know if there's some other temperature monitoring tool other than SG to work on the Expert. Problem for me is that SG doesn't work on 64-bit, so it's kinda useless to me.

Second, does anyone else have distorted colors on the boot logo using a PCIe card with DVI? I used a PCI card first and had the logo displayed the right way.

Now with the PCIe card it looks like a negative, quite strange.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My card doesn't appear to have *anything* to plug into :/

I even thought my card was defective but I even looked at pics of the card at Newegg and it didn't have anything mine doesn't.

You don't use the PCI-express plug on your card! Some cards do require the plug, but not yours. Neither one of my cards use a pci-express plug ether.

I've got a DFI sli dr expert mobo... and yes this is my first build..

with the OCZ 520 powerstream. ok.. do you plug in BOTH the 24 pin power connector AND the 8 (combo)pin one as well right behind it? the manual is pretty vague on this (to me anyway)

thanks..

k

I've got a DFI sli dr expert mobo... and yes this is my first build..

with the OCZ 520 powerstream. ok.. do you plug in BOTH the 24 pin power connector AND the 8 (combo)pin one as well right behind it? the manual is pretty vague on this (to me anyway)

thanks..

k

Yes just like in the pic on page 1.

if it got a plug for power plug it the 4pin molex and the smaller 4pin not sure what it is called but you want to put power to them the they are located close to the cpu this will help stability. i know on asus they got 4pin molex next to the pcie slot and its for stability so figure the same on the dfi. you got yourself a sweet board. (i'm pretty sure the 8pin connector if it's coming out of your psu that is for intel !!!)

im having trouble with my install. everything boots up fine into bios. i start up my winxp installation cd and it loads all the files needed for the installation, and then as its about to load the setup, it restarts. my cpu is at 38C so its not overheating. im not sure of the problem, i have all my connections set up properly.

the 8 pin is also for opteron too i think. but you should get a P4 to 8-pin power adapter if you have the Expert. something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16812201005

If I'm not too much mistaken, the 4-pin P4 is for ATX, and the 8-pin version is for BTX boards. The OCZ PowerStream 520w has a P4 plug and a P4+ plug, both of these together make up the 8-pin plug for BTX boards. But for ATX boards you use the P4 only (NOT the P4+, I've heard several different reasons for this ranging from "the plug just won't fit right" to "%@#^&* IT FRIED MY MOTHERBOARD111!").

again, the instructions for the XP-90 (the ones I buy from SVC) are very easy to read, as are the instructions on the website for the product @ thermalright.com.

Everyone will have something different for a heatsink and it is not my intention to cover every single heatsink on earth...and if you can't read the heatsink mfg's instructions...you really shouldn't be trying to build one the most complex motherboard setups =/

To be fair, I had to search Thermalright's site to find the answer to the airflow question of the fan on the heatsink. It wasn't on the directions I got in the shipment or the XP-90 info on the site that I found (it was in the general FAQ). I'm glad someone pointed it out as an issue here because it's backwards from what I would have thought and wouldn't have thought to double check it.

For the record, from Thermalright's site,

Question 2 : Do I have the fan blowing down or drawing air up?

Answer : The fan used should always be blowing down for all Thermalright heat sinks.

To be fair, I had to search Thermalright's site to find the answer to the airflow question of the fan on the heatsink. It wasn't on the directions I got in the shipment or the XP-90 info on the site that I found (it was in the general FAQ). I'm glad someone pointed it out as an issue here because it's backwards from what I would have thought and wouldn't have thought to double check it.

Here goes the thermalpaste arguement again. One part of the link said to "spread out the thermal paste". I'll still use the other method as it makes more sense to allow the paste to seek it's own level.

all heatsink fans blow down