NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

You don't use the PCI-express plug on your card! Some cards do require the plug, but not yours. Neither one of my cards use a pci-express plug ether.

only the 6800 and 7800 use the 8pin for power

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes the thermalpaste arguement again. One part of the link said to "spread out the thermal paste". I'll still use the other method as it makes more sense to allow the paste to seek it's own level.

i think you should spread a very thin layer instead of just globing it in the center because, after there is less a chance your hs is seated totally flat and making good contact just my opinion also you're going to want a very thin layer with as5 its like .001"

I've always used the following method with success:

First, I spread a VERY thin layer over the core or IHS but I don't spread it all the way to the edges, I leave a bit of a perimeter without paste.

Second, I put a tiny hump of paste right in the middle of the CPU.

Third, I take a small amount of paste and rub it in to the area of the heatsink that will contact the core or IHS to fill any pits or scratches, then I remove any excess paste and install the heatsink.

This has always worked great for me, hope it helps :)

I can hear AG fuming already.

people have their own way of doing it

when it doesn't conform to mfg's recommendations I just shrug and don't say anything anymore.

If it works for a person great

if it burns their hardware out somehow great (cuz it ain't mine and thats what you get for not following direections)

if you listened to someone who went against the majority of the forum as well as the mfg's recommendations and did something other than what the forum as well as the mfg instructed, and burned out your goods...then thats ok with me too as that is between you and the person you foolishly listened to

hey

this sorta sounds not only like thermal paste, but VALUE RAM and psu's that don't meet our minimum requirements...funny huh?

I saw this part at anandtech the other day:

DFI also plans one more revision to their just-released nF4 Expert. The new board will provide further improvements to the overclocking capabilities of their nF4 Expert.

Any ideas, or speculation what this revision would be?