NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did that guy use to put it on? A butter knife? AS5 being fullof silver granuales ia not only a conductor of heat but an conductor of electricity, I'm surprised he didn't blow out his MB and/or the PSU.

if you read the thread, he had a dead cpu (i've still got it sitting on my desk)

the motherboard was 100% fine, and I just sold him a cpu and sent it back all setup for proper working lol

but hey

I remember I myself used to get the latex glove on and try to spread AS5 thin across the entire IHS

and I hated AS5 for about a year and wouldn't use it because I could not get it to spread and thought the drop in the middle was foolish until I actually tried it myself... :tooth:

he was lucky it was i who checked it all out for him as most stores would see that situation and tell him board, memory, cpu, and whatever else were all fried

instead i just sold him a cpu and didn't charge him anything else (and i think i charged him like $35 for the cpu and even paid shipping both ways)

Just wanted to thank AG for this guide, was very very helpful for a total n00b like myself. Keep up the good work and thanks for not going insane dealing with n00bs like me !!!

Seconded. :nod:

EDIT: and thanks to all the other mods and anyone else who gave me help as well! You saved me a great deal :nod:

we need to plugged in all that 4 cables ??? the one like the floopy too???

I only have the 2 power cables plugged in , the 24pins cable .

My old motherboard didn't have the floppy and molex connections, but it did have the 20-pin ATX and the 4-pin 12v. Five years that motherboard was in use (only by me for the last three), and the 4-pin was never plugged in. Ever. My old PSU didn't even have the connector. This plus the fact that the two case fans that it came with never worked until I replaced them (which did help with the crashing, a little, but by this point the CPU was probably fried), it's no wonder the thing constantly crashed and/or froze. We're talking several times a day here, and it did so since day 1. I don't know how much of the problem was the abscence of the 4-pin 12v and how much of it was overheating, but I'm almost positive the 4-pin would've made a difference.

tl;dr: Never underestimate what four little pins can do. Plug them all in, and avoid headaches and bruised hands from banging them on the desk every time your system crashes. :)

Fine. Do it however you please. Don't attach all of the power plugs and if you see anything else in the instructions or recommendations that you don't think are necessary, then be sure and not do them either. The engineers at DFI are dedicated, in their ignorance, to ask for you to do things that are really not important or necessary. And, don't be concerned about 20pins vs. 24pins or any other of that junk you hear about psu's; 350watts is plenty.

Of course, I'm only kidding.