DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

i just happened to buy an Enermax Noisetaker 600W ATX 12v v2.0 PSU. This should be fine right? says SLi on the box, and everything on the box seems to point that I got the correct PSU ?
Yep, this one "ENERMAX Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE SFMA 2.0 SLI" is perfect. :nod:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, this one "ENERMAX Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE SFMA 2.0 SLI" is perfect. :nod:

yea, i missed it in the original post ..... barely saw it after looking over it again .... guess next time ill do a find

There is a reason for the update in the recommendation. Many users were encountering stability problems that were resolved by getting bigger and better power supplies.

The recommendation of 480W ATX 12V 2.X just makes sense because the board is designed for a native 24pin PSU and the PCIe cards are drawing power from the slots.

It's not a matter of "will not" but "can not". There's no way anyone can give you technical support if you rig isn't stable.

Hello ExRoadie,

No argument from me.

But, there is a difference between recommended (as in "get and keep your rig running with the minimum of problems") and required (as in "you will not get support otherwise").

I am all for DFI to update their recommendations continuously. In fact, I think it is a very good thing that they do.

However, it seems to me that they are updating their requirements and threatening to withdraw support from people who bought the boards (based on the information that DFI supplied at the time) unless they upgrade.

Leaving the legal issues aside, it would be morally wrong.

Now, as I said above, it does seem somewhat illogical so I humbly request the DFI people to clarify.

My setup? I'm buying components right now.

Already got: DFI nF4 Ultra-D, 2x512MB OCZ PC, AMD64 3500+ (Venice, planning to OC), Audigy 2 ZS

Planning to get: ATI X800 XL (or XT if a deal works out), BenQ DW1640, some sort of SATA 7200RPM drive (liquid bearings), replacement HSF (Zallman?) and a TV capture card (ATI theater 550 pro or Haupage 150).

Before today, everything I read suggested that the SeaSonic S12-430 should have no problem powering this system.

Before I found this thread, I thought that 400w would be enough to power my new system without overclocking (3800 san diego, x800 xt, 1gb ram, etc.), so as one of my first purchases I got the modstream 450w when I saw it for $60 after rebate at monarch. After reading this thread I'm getting kinda worried. The modstream 450 spec sheet says that it can handle 550w peak load, so does this mean that I'm clear of the 480w mark that you guys are saying I should be at? BTW, I was just looking through my ultra-d manual and it says that only a 400w power supply is necessary...I take it this was printed before they thought better of it and decided on 480w? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Before I found this thread, I thought that 400w would be enough to power my new system without overclocking (3800 san diego, x800 xt, 1gb ram, etc.), so as one of my first purchases I got the modstream 450w when I saw it for $60 after rebate at monarch. After reading this thread I'm getting kinda worried. The modstream 450 spec sheet says that it can handle 550w peak load, so does this mean that I'm clear of the 480w mark that you guys are saying I should be at? BTW, I was just looking through my ultra-d manual and it says that only a 400w power supply is necessary...I take it this was printed before they thought better of it and decided on 480w? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Please create a signature with your complete system specs.

The OCZ PowerStream 420W (520W Peak) &

your ModStream both suffer from OCZ's overly conservative ratings.

However we can not "Officially" change the spec just for OCZ,

as then everyone would be free to argue that their PSU was under-rated too.

Dave ;)

Hello ExRoadie,

There is a reason for the update in the recommendation. Many users were encountering stability problems that were resolved by getting bigger and better power supplies.

The recommendation of 480W ATX 12V 2.X just makes sense because the board is designed for a native 24pin PSU and the PCIe cards are drawing power from the slots.

It's not a matter of "will not" but "can not". There's no way anyone can give you technical support if you rig isn't stable.

So I guess you are telling me that this wonderful supply or perhaps this marvel are going to make my rig more stable than an Antec TruePower 2.0 430W, OCZ PowerStream 420W, OCZ ModStream 450W or Seasonic S12-430HB 430W ???

Cool! Imagine all the money I could save by buying a "better" product :D