DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

But won't the Modstream only not be sufficient if you also plan to OC rather hard? Seeing as the Modstream has 520W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(52A), +12V(28A) and the Powerstream 520W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(40A), +12V(33A) .

It might be I am on a looong way out of reach now, but seeing as OC requires more output, preferably stable too, it should be possible to run with a SLI setup with the Modstream, but then be limited on the OC part?

and thanks for the answer so far though :)

//Mrflashy

For SLI up to 6800U's +12V@30A has long been the min recommendation,

for the new 150W VC's in SLI a min of +12V@34A is recommended.

No doubt that the OCZ MS 520W with adaptor(s) will power SLI with 6800GT/U's without any OC'ing of anything.

:angel:

EDIT:

The Antec NeoPower 480W has a max combined of +12V@32A & is also modular.

IMO, this Antec would be a better choice.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the OCZ PowerStream 520W is used by Anandtech for their SLI testing &

is proven to run twin 6800U's with OC'ing.

The Enermax 535W SLI-Ready should also run them.

I recommend the OCZ PowerStream 600W or the Enermax 600W SLI-Certified (#701)

for the new "soon to market" 150W VC's.

Good Luck down there! Are you a native or ?

Dave :angel:

Native, but I don't like (I hate) soccer :shake:

For now I'll stick with a Enermax or OCZ and save some money for a "Mr Fusion" if it can produce enough power to travel trough time in a Deloream, maybe it can power up a PC :sweat:

Native, but I don't like (I hate) soccer :shake:

For now I'll stick with a Enermax or OCZ and save some money for a "Mr Fusion" if it can produce enough power to travel trough time in a Deloream, maybe it can power up a PC :sweat:

Regards from an Argentinian who hates soccer, too :nod:

The modstream has plenty of 5v power but it's not so useful nowadays, you'll rather get a PSU with the most inflated 12v rail you can find (from a good brand that can meet what advertises, of course)

Don't go with generic brands, I've seen so many advertising 400w but when adding up the different rail currents you couldn't get even closer to that :D

Please tell me if you get that "Mr Fusion", specially the version that turns junk into energy... We'll be needing it for 2018 BIPP PCs (Built In Power Plant PCs) based on Athlon 256 x16 if we don't wanna mess around with radioactive stuff :D

Maybe we can hire some Transformers to throw some energon around :shake:

Ok, that s***ks :P But i guess it will have to do until I can get enough money to buy a better PSU. Thanks for the answer tho David. :)

//MrFlashy

As you already have the OCZ MS 520W, go as far as it will let you.

These are very good PSU's & are under rated,

so if you keep it cool, say case temp under 30C, it might take you all the way.

GL :angel:

What makes a ATX 2.0 PSU ?

A PSU with 24+4 or this is a BTX ?

Two +12V rails ?

PCI-E Conectors ?

SATA Conectors ?

All the above ?

Let's say I find a PSU (24+4) with 50A on the +12V, but only one +12V line, no SATA, no PCI-E, this PSU it's OK ? even for a SLI setup ?

Or there is something else besides POWER.

See here for ATX 12V 2.X...

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs..._public_br2.pdf

There is no BTX power supply spec. The BTX case spec uses an ATX 12V 2.X power supply.

What makes a ATX 2.0 PSU ?

A PSU with 24+4 or this is a BTX ?

Two +12V rails ?

PCI-E Conectors ?

SATA Conectors ?

All the above ?

Let's say I find a PSU (24+4) with 50A on the +12V, but only one +12V line, no SATA, no PCI-E, this PSU it's OK ? even for a SLI setup ?

Or there is something else besides POWER.

See here for ATX 12V 2.X...

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs..._public_br2.pdf

There is no BTX power supply spec. The BTX case spec uses an ATX 12V 2.X power supply.

Correct, when a PSU advertises "BTX Ready" all they are really saying is it has native 24-pin ATX.

Iwouldn't worry about how the PSU delivers its +12V amperage,

so long as it delivers at least +12V@26A for non-SLI & +12V@34A or more for SLI.

The PC P&C 510 SLI uses a single +12V rail, the OCZ PowerStream 600W uses dual +12V rails,

they both get the job done & in an excellent fashion, too. :angel:

Hi

I just bought an Enermax EG495P-VE SFMA 485W (http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.ph...&Gid=18&Gid2=46) without knowing about the 480W requirement update and I really don't feel like hiking back to the store and paying restock fee on top of the price for a more powerful psu

Will it hold up under stress?

I can't really do anything right now lol my computer is semi-assembled I'm missing my vc which is on the way

Thanks

Hi

I just bought an Enermax EG495P-VE SFMA 485W (http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.ph...&Gid=18&Gid2=46) without knowing about the 480W requirement update and I really don't feel like hiking back to the store and paying restock fee on top of the price for a more powerful psu

Will it hold up under stress?

I can't really do anything right now lol my computer is semi-assembled I'm missing my vc which is on the way

Thanks

Yes, that is an very good PSU & meets all of the requirements & then some!

CONGRATS on an excellent choice! :nod:

Sounds like people know their stuff here so...

I'm planning an upgrade soon:

- Venice

- DFI nF4

- x800XT PE (have modded AGP now, hope to mod PCIE)

- 2x512MB G-Skill PC4400 (NewEgg, may get VX)

- 250GB Samsung SATA (when it comes out, have Samsung 160GB SATA now)

- MSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SATA (excellent drive, looking at Plextor SATAs though...)

- Audigy2 ZS

- Chaintech HT-S (for music)

- MCP650 12v pump

I am wondering what PSU to get. Ignore my current Coolmax. Note that I may consider modding a 80mm-based PSU into my Coolmax 120mm shell (if it meets size criteria - many of the TTGI PSUs come in both versions and have the same guts) Was looking for the following:

-- 120mm fan

-- Adjustable rails (either via sense wires or pots)

-- Decent rails

-- Cheaper price

Now, I stumbled upon the PSU sticky here. Know that this setup will NOT be using any SLI cards, NOT be running an nVidia, and will NOT be using an Intel (duh). Therefore, power requirements WILL be much less than 480W (I understand the "requirement" as I know SLI'd nVidias + Intel = mucho power demand).

I was (and still am) considering the FSP Blue Storm (or non blue) 400W. Before the flaming begins, note:

--- Venice uses ~40W of power on 12v (so lets say 4A; and when OC'd consumption doesnt go up too fast)

--- Mobo may use 2A MAX

--- ATI's x800XT PE uses about 3.5A on 12v

--- HD may use 1A on 12v

--- Optical uses 1.5A (but lets say 2A)

--- Pump uses <1A

--- Radiator fans use 0.35A each MAX so 0.7A combined

So putting that together we have the following:

12v1 Mobo/CPU: 4(CPU) + 2(Mobo) = 6A (within 9.5A nominal)

12v2 Everything Else: 1(HD) + 1.5(CD) + 1(Pump) + 1(Fans) = 4.5A (within 9.5A nominal)

Split: 3.5(VC) = 3.5A (throw it on either rail and its still OK)

I've left out a few things such as the sound cards, but they use so little and its already accounted for with my conservative over-estimates elsewhere. Plus, anything such as the RAM would easily be handled (12v is the primary factor wereas they run on the 3.3v/5v).

My point is that this setup should work flawlessly, with plenty of power left at least on the second 12v rail even when using FSP's nominal ratings.

BUT, I'd like to hear what people think of the TTGI PSUs as far as their "typical" output. I've seen a few times here mention that FSP Blue Storms combined equates to about 24A in reality. What about a TTGI 550W's 12v(30A)?

Cliff Notes :) :

I'd like to hear what people think of the TTGI PSUs as far as their "typical" output. I've seen a few times here mention that FSP Blue Storms combined equates to about 24A in reality. What about a TTGI 550W's 12v(30A)?

Recommend me a cheap PSU that fits above bill

Edit: Sorry for so huge, but I think its something MOST AMD builders should have a look at as Venice is so popular :)