Are desktop PC's dying?

Queenz

...make them less usable to the average consumer.

We are not in this category. I can think of plenty of arguments for keeping desktops around (mainly, the ability to upgrade them fully and actually keep them around). However, the average consumer is not going to care about building/modding/replacing/tinkering. They just want to "set it and forget it" and are willing to replace it when it starts slowing down.

I agree with wevs, the tablet market will split the market away from the middle ground (laptops) and towards the two ends of portability (desktops and tablets/smartphones).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

desktops are dying because unless you play games you have no reason to switch computers anymore. most people I know still are using Core2 Duos because they simply have no reason for anything else. For me there was a while when I didn't turn my tower on for months at a time because I had everything on my laptop. So yes desktops are a dying breed and the only reason to have a new one is if you fall for the best buy gimmicks (which I dont think anyone on OCC would) or you play a bunch of games and want the best of the best.

One board dies a flaming death and I never hear the end of it. :lol:

Just like when one of my employees rear ended a cop! That just never goes away LOL

The attractiveness of an instant on tablet or Ultra book cannot be overlooked as portable solutions. I have a laptop for work, a pretty nice laptop when I travel, an iPad2, smart phone and a pretty solid desktop computer. Each has its place in the rotation and for the purpose I use it for. What I prefer most is the desktop When I am home i use it more than anything else.

I'm mostly at home now so the good old fashioned desktop can't be beat in any respect for a great all round computing experience by these new fancy tablet & smartphones. A couple of weeks ago my old cell phone was replaced by one of these new Samsung Galaxy S3 things & to say I'm not impressed is an understatement. It's horrible to surf the net with, it's expensive to use, the battery keeps dying & it keeps losing the network signal so it's been confined to my cupboard & I'm still using my old cell phone for what it was designed for, making & receiving calls.

Notebooks & tablets make sense if you travel a lot & definitely have a place in the market but for me, the desktop can't be beaten.

People not using Windows? That's BS propaganda from Macnoobs and Linsux. Each people uses what they want and there are other people trying to change people's mind like "use g+ not facebook".. I will use what I want.

Regarding desktop PC in fact space is not a problem in reality. United States of America (not my country) and other places have huge houses and big spaces inside and outside so the space of a Desktop PC is irrelevant. Is like saying that people won't use car because they don't FIT in the highway. People is stu.pid. Before I came work I saw on the news a car jam on the highway and all the stu.pids doesn't seem to care. They would always be late to work but they prefer keep using cars even tought is expensive, occupies a lot of space, need to take care of, can't park for free anymore, isn't fast due to massive car jams, etc.

Desktop is always more cheap and is not for modders. A lot of people who doesn't have a good budget TEND to learn to "build" or at least choose the parts of the PC they want like I did. I choose every part of it. For example I spent the most I could in RAM-CPU-VIDEOCARD-Motherboard, the rest is good but for example I bought a crappy keyboard and mouse because I really dont care of them. It doesn't affect my performance at all. And good mouses/keyboards really doesn't matter to me.

The expected and actual lifetime for a laptop is MUCH less than a desktop PC. I wonder what happens If I let a netbook with my Online game 24/7 .. it will burn or die easy. Perhaps battery would last as much 1 year. And the rest of the components will die fast too in 2-3 year.

Phones are crap. Why would you spend 1k u$d for a device primarly designed for talk or send text messages? The more powerful the phone the less battery-life. Also you have to carry all the time with you and you have high risk to break/lost it or get it stolen. You can loose 1k u$d easy if anything happens.

Tablet is really good for some works but is not for daily work. Imagine office employees using phones or tablets. I don't think so. Even laptops are not so comfortable. A desktop is much better and you can even have a big screen. Woah I made an interesting point here. How many office employees (government, programmers, receptionist, ect, etc.) 90% of them will use desktop for ever and ever.

Erica (she is my co-worker and is reading this) says MACs are "home-appliances" . I don't know what she meant but I just wrote it down.

ps: I'm not mad with you but people who invent those theories they do make me mad.

Well for the second time in as many years I am using only a laptop haha

It depends what someones needs are and what their restrictions are.

A lot of people that can deal with something less powerful are more than happy yo have a laptop because it is nice to be able to say sit on the couch beside the fire and do some work or surf the net.

Just recently my Nans desktop PC gave up the ghost and I recommended and helped her get a laptop to replace it. She absolutely loves it because she doesn't need to be in the study which is much colder than the rest of the house and she now sits in the lounge and plays a game of words with friends and sends a few fb messages in the evenings with the fire going beside her.

I think PCs are going to come back around. Both the PS4 and the xbox 720 are going to pretty much suck. If they don't hit the market at a VERY competitive price, I think more people will be inclined to build a low end gaming PC with performance that will deliver a better gaming experience then the consoles. As it already stands a crap ton of people have the Xbox solely to play MW3. Even on the integrated graphics on IB can do a better job than my PS3 can (if not, my GMA 400 graphics got rid of the weird blocky textures that my PS3 had).

If trinity turns out to be a success, I can only imagine that you would be able to build a sub 500 gaming machine that would outperform any console, and with the added benefit of being able to actually use it for computer things, the PC will be such a great value that people will be more inclined to purchase a desktop.

Laptops are simply not far enough in their development to rival desktops. The price is way too high, the graphics cards are way too slow, and the batter life is still too short to really offer a equal performance alternative than the desktop.