Nyt Ryda's Rig

Nyt

Steel? Are you trying to corrode everything? :lol:

Oops, wrong wording. I meant steel clamps. You know, the ones that screw over the barbs to keep the tubing on ?

Im running 1/2ID 3/4OD from res to pump to rad and 3/8ID 1/2OD from rad to block to res so that I have added peace of mind the loop wont leak with tighter tubing over the 1/2 barbs

I was also thinking of getting some steel clamps from the hardware store - instead of plastic clamps so theres no chance of leaking.

Any suggestions ?

The loop will not require 3/8 hose.

Steel clamps are fine, but the wc sys is low pressure so that the plastic clamps should be ok. I don't know what pressure the plastic clamps are rated for though, but I usually see thier use in electric wire binding.

In the loop all the pressure drops add together and bring the loop flow down uniformly. When sizing a pump the formula takes the pressure drops (pd) of all the components at a design flow rate (block, rad, res) adds the fitting and hose pd at the design flow rate then this total pd is the number used to pick a pump with equal or greater head pressure at the design flow rate. Will the manufacturers give pressure to flow rate data? I don't see any. The only way to size is with the reviews test, or use the safest products (steel clamps, highest flow). Review tests with one pump are not interchangeable with tests done with another pump because the flow rate would differ. Look at a review for say a number of different blocks and the test data recording the flow for each block, the differing flow rates for each block show the pump performance pressure to flow rate data. Even though the blocks are being compared the pump data that is generated is what is needed to flexibly choose a pump.

The average consumer will find this data confusing, but there should be some method (simpler) to make a sound purchase decision besides this is the mightiest pump because many purchases are made with cost in mind.

Purchasing components is more flexible if the component data is known.

Also - the flow rate is the same everywhere in the loop.

This is true, otherwise you would have more water going into the loop than coming out, which breaks physics a little either that or you've created something which can completely remove matter from existence, and solved the worlds garbage problem =p

Wouldn't the pressure be higher right after the pump then farther away? Or is it all the same in a closed loop.

Closed loop pressure and temps should equalize, there should be equal pressure throughout and provided the flow rate is high enough, the water temperature should equalize to.

All because it is a closed loop.

Their may or may not be some very marginal benefit, to the point of insignificance, to changing loop orders. However basically when you have a decent enough pump just keeping the loop as small as possible to reduce the resistance will give the greatest and actually significant improvements.

Im running 1/2ID 3/4OD from res to pump to rad and 3/8ID 1/2OD from rad to block to res so that I have added peace of mind the loop wont leak with tighter tubing over the 1/2 barbs

Any suggestions ?

No point in running 2 different tubing sizes though! Why not either run all 1/2" ID or all 3/8" ID tubing? Why are scared about using 1/2" ID tubing on 1/2" fittings with clamps :doh::P

No point in running 2 different tubing sizes though! Why not either run all 1/2" ID or all 3/8" ID tubing? Why are scared about using 1/2" ID tubing on 1/2" fittings with clamps :doh::P

3/8 wont fit on my MCP655 And I prefer tighter tubing on a bigger barb to make sure it doesnt jump off !

I just feel safer

3/8 wont fit on my MCP655 And I prefer tighter tubing on a bigger barb to make sure it doesnt jump off !

This is a myth. The 3/8 hose should be put on 3/8 barb and 1/2 hose should be put on 1/2 barb. Are you clamping the hoses????

I'm thinking the 3/8 hose will be stretched to much.

Posted Yesterday, 02:32 PM

Wouldn't the pressure be higher right after the pump then farther away? Or is it all the same in a closed loop.

Pascal's law states the pressure is the same, but a refrigeration system has high pressure and low pressure sides as well as high temp and low temp sides so right now I'm unsure.

This is a myth. The 3/8 hose should be put on 3/8 barb and 1/2 hose should be put on 1/2 barb. Are you clamping the hoses????

I'm thinking the 3/8 hose will be stretched to much.

I've been running 3/8 tubing over 1/2 barbs and its been fine :) Yes I have been clamping all the hoses

I believed 3/8 tubing over 1/2 barbs makes it way tighter and will have less chances of leaking with the clamps on it too

Well updates so far :

Extreme 9 board has been fitted

Waiting for Zalman CNPS11X Performa to cool the 3930k until the WC stuff arrives in Feb (Hoping for 4GHz on this cooler :) )

Waiting for cooler so I can put on thermal paste and fit the cpu

Cable management for mobo is done :)

Stuck with my 2x4Gb set of Ram for now :( Will have to wait a while for quad channel :(

HD6970 is being sold tomorrow

and

that means

HD7970 coming into the rig after 9 Jan :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: