Dedicated Physx Engine

Boinker

To GTX260 or not?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should I

• Use a GTX260.
    • not use a GTX 260 as Physx engine.
    • get another GTX480 and Sli it.
    • Use a different card (please state in topic with reason)

Hello all,

First off please feel free to post your comments below for further advise to my questions.

I'm curious in regards to two games Metro 2033 and mafia wars II.

My question is as ,stated in the pole, is should I use my extra GTX260 that is laying around in the closet or should I install it in my system as a Physx engine? I am able to overclock the GTX480 a bit but in places the video is choppy when going into different areas back and forth. I am looking for a fix for now or a permanent fix to increase the graphics performance. Also, Given they are Nvidia supported games (i assume this as there logo is pasted on the box and the from screens) should I Go ahead and plunge into another GTX480 and Sli it? And do you think it would be worth?

Thanks in advance for all voters and advisory's. :cheers:

, Boinker

Also if need be to know my system specs they are posted below.

Edit: just for the sake of answering a common doubt I have dual screens and am operating the game o an 23 inch At a1980 x 1080 resolution, going to throw the old 260 in there to see what happens.

Edited by boinker

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: 1 480 is more then enough to handle anything out there, and the only place i can see it struggle is if theres a physX intensive game at high res, i dont see much point in blowing loads cash on another 480 when boink already has a 260 which will give More then enough of a performance boost if set to do PhysX work.

Unless you're playing at a crazy high res, I don't think another gtx480 would do much for you. That said, your gtx 260 is just laying around (nevermind overkill for physx), and will offload the physx calculations from the 480. I say go for it.

Free upgrade. period.

Would you ever think of combining the 5850 and 5870 with the 260 and benchin' em??

If I had room I'd bench my 4870x2 and get my old 260 back from my friend to see....well if I had the game lol

My vote is sell the 260, and maybe get an 8800GT from somewhere for the same job. That 260 would be far more useful to someone else as a gaming card IMHO.