Dedicated Physx Engine

Boinker

To GTX260 or not?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should I

• Use a GTX260.
    • not use a GTX 260 as Physx engine.
    • get another GTX480 and Sli it.
    • Use a different card (please state in topic with reason)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you ever think of combining the 5850 and 5870 with the 260 and benchin' em??

If I had room I'd bench my 4870x2 and get my old 260 back from my friend to see....well if I had the game lol

My vote is sell the 260, and maybe get an 8800GT from somewhere for the same job. That 260 would be far more useful to someone else as a gaming card IMHO.

Just grab the demo, its free.

Also IMO having a secondary card is completely pointless and does not warrant the added heat or power usage that it will add. Just look at the bench that cokeman did, 5FPS more with a dedicated PhysX card @1920x1200. Not worth it if you ask me. I ran a 9600GT in my rig for about a week and saw zero improvement.

Edited by krazypoloc

Just grab the demo, its free.

Also IMO having a secondary card is completely pointless and does not warrant the added heat or power usage that it will add. Just look at the bench that cokeman did, 5FPS more with a dedicated PhysX card @1920x1200. Not worth it if you ask me. I ran a 9600GT in my rig for about a week and saw zero improvement.

Still I wonder how the 5 series would fair if they had the 260 (or any capable card) in place as a physx card. The 5870 kept biting at the heels of the 480 a few times at the higher resolutions. If the 260 was included with the nv's than why not the amd's, maybe I could get my 8800GT back from my dad for a day and try the demo/benchmark

I have a BFG PhysX card here and paired it with my 5770 CF I actually lost a few points in Vantage it was pretty disapointing. I just baught it last week brand new never opened for 17 bucks off Amazon, I'm not sure if it was because it's an older tech running off a PCI slot or not maybe I will through my GTX460 in and see if it does any better as a physX engine.

I have a BFG PhysX card here and paired it with my 5770 CF I actually lost a few points in Vantage it was pretty disapointing. I just baught it last week brand new never opened for 17 bucks off Amazon, I'm not sure if it was because it's an older tech running off a PCI slot or not maybe I will through my GTX460 in and see if it does any better as a physX engine.

did you set everything up right??

Still I wonder how the 5 series would fair if they had the 260 (or any capable card) in place as a physx card. The 5870 kept biting at the heels of the 480 a few times at the higher resolutions. If the 260 was included with the nv's than why not the amd's, maybe I could get my 8800GT back from my dad for a day and try the demo/benchmark

Because "Officially" running ATI+Nvidia card for PhysX is not supported. I did run the 9600GT with my OC'd 5850 and saw no performance increase.