Mac VS Pc

Personally I'd put together a basic PC and aim to make it quiet, then grab a nice 24" monitor to go with it and count my change from $1500.

You could even buy a Mac Mini and do the same thing.

:withstupid: x100

I think the $1,500 budget for this is just way too much. For what you want, you could get by with a PC for half that. If you want to give Mac shot, that's totally cool but you don't need to spend that kind of coin for the needs you're describing. A Mac Mini would probably fit the bill perfectly for significantly less. If you're going PC, well then like I said, I just build my father a basic surfing/media PC with a 5600+ Brisbane and 4GB with onboard video and all that for $365. It runs great for all the needs you describe. If you wanted to slap a $200 24" monitor on there and a $50-100 video card just for good measure you'd still come in at well under half the $1,500 budget you're talking about.

If money is a concern here, you've got TONS of ways to seriously reduce your cost on this machine.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like i said before the reason why i wouldn't get a mac mini is because the imac is alot easier to upgrade the memory and i dont have a monitor anyway....... plus the imac has a built in webcam and mic tooo......... and to be completely honest im tired of Windows. Microsoft hasn't put out a product that's impressed me in years. i mean they FINALLY got xp nice and stable and now its a great o/s but it took them 9 years to do it...... vista was a huge crapshoot and its hard telling what will happen with this all new windows 7 everyone's ranting and raving about. Apple's had awesome software and hardware since day one and they've always been one step ahead and im a fan of technology and if it's a quality product and its cool and works good then thats what i like...... i dont mind paying for quality, not at all and the way i see it, comparing a stock pc to a stock apple would be like comparing a corolla to a corvette.....its not even a comparison and the reason apple use's so many c2d's in their rigs is because the operating system is so effecient thatls all they need and they even use the gpu on the vid card to help with processing power when needed something microsoft hasn't even figured out yet......i will one day build another gaming rig im sure but for now im just not into all of that and i didn't know it would cause so much drama asking a question about a mac on OCC. anyway after i get the 24" imac and get used to it i'll be sure and post and let u guys know how i like it

like i said before the reason why i wouldn't get a mac mini is because the imac is alot easier to upgrade the memory and i dont have a monitor anyway....... plus the imac has a built in webcam and mic tooo......... and to be completely honest im tired of Windows. Microsoft hasn't put out a product that's impressed me in years. i mean they FINALLY got xp nice and stable and now its a great o/s but it took them 9 years to do it...... vista was a huge crapshoot and its hard telling what will happen with this all new windows 7 everyone's ranting and raving about. Apple's had awesome software and hardware since day one and they've always been one step ahead and im a fan of technology and if it's a quality product and its cool and works good then thats what i like...... i dont mind paying for quality, not at all and the way i see it, comparing a stock pc to a stock apple would be like comparing a corolla to a corvette.....its not even a comparison and the reason apple use's so many c2d's in their rigs is because the operating system is so effecient thatls all they need and they even use the gpu on the vid card to help with processing power when needed something microsoft hasn't even figured out yet......i will one day build another gaming rig im sure but for now im just not into all of that and i didn't know it would cause so much drama asking a question about a mac on OCC. anyway after i get the 24" imac and get used to it i'll be sure and post and let u guys know how i like it
I lol'd

I'm not sure it was a completely unreasonable response to be honest, if a little blunt (but then we expect that from Clay :lol: ).

Anyway, I'm guessing you had pretty much made up your mind before even creating the thread?

Hope you enjoy your new Mac anyway. :D

XP has been stable for years. Vista wasn't that bad. My eyes started bleeding so i couldn't finish the rest.

1. Xp has been stable for a long time. (From my experience)

2. Vista is pretty darn stable. (From my experience)

3. I don't see how upgrading memory for an iMac would be any easier than upgrading memory from a PC.

4. Buy a monitor you can get them so much cheaper now than ever. From 21" to 24", the prices dropped.

5. Comparing a stock PC and a stock Apple is not like comparing a Corolla to a Corvette. It's more of the opposite. When speaking from price range to hardware ratio. $1500 iMac (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 640GB Serial ATA Drive, Apple mouse, and 24" monitor) <--> $1,279.99 iBUYPOWER ( Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz), 6GB DDR3, 1TB SATA Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 and add another $150 for a 24" monitor). Still under budget and way better specs. You can even go with a tad bit lower system and still beat the specs and have enough cash to buy a 24" monitor and a legit copy of MACOSX to make a Hackintosh.

6. Windows can run perfectly fine with just a dual core. The only reason people upgrade beyond that on both Mac and PC is because they want to do other things that will take advantages of more cores. Macs use quad cores and i7 too, so it's not that they need more power for the OS. But users want more power to do other things.

7. Your getting drama, because your asking for advice and when the majority disagrees with your preconception you turn a deaf ear to them.

8. You can easily buy a standalone or combo webcam/mic and still be under budget.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I'm not sure it was a completely unreasonable response to be honest, if a little blunt (but then we expect that from Clay :lol: ).

Anyway, I'm guessing you had pretty much made up your mind before even creating the thread?

Hope you enjoy your new Mac anyway. :D

:withstupid: Sorry, matt, but I didn't feel like you were worth my time to point out the numerous flaws in your glob of text like Krazyxazn did, since, as jammin said, you've clearly already made up your mind.

Matt, that last long post of yours is full of opinions stated as facts and misinformation. Some of it is just downright silly. But as jammin so wisely stated, it's obvious that your mind was already made up before you started this post. Just reading that last big post it's obvious that you never intended to buy a PC. Basically, this thread was one of those situations where someone asks for advice already knowing the answer they want, and if they don't get the answer they want, they'll disagree until they do because all they really want is for someone to tell them their decision is right.

But as far as Mac or PC, I still don't care. I just think you're totally wasting your money spending $1,500 here.

There is somethings a mac does better than PC and somethings PC does better. Why not just get something that fits what you want to do? If you want to game, then the mac is not for you. Why make a big fuss out of it? Seeing that you have two gtx 295 in quad sli, i'm sure you play games. Unless you don't, in that case sell away your 295s to fund your imac.

As I said a few pages back, and others have said aswell. Just buy the iMAC. ITs clear that is what you wanted to do all along, despite the fact that you could achive what you want for MUCH less.

In all honesty, the best option so far: Mac Mini + 24" Screen + Logitech Webcam. BAM. All done, and probably for under $700. But thats not what you want, so go ahead and pick-up your iMac.