Mac VS Pc

I don't care if apple comes out with the best desktop in the world and it only costs $100 bucks
I'll call BS on that. Who wouldn't use the "best desktop in the world" if it only cost $100, regardless of what name is on the system.

I don't care if apple comes out with the best desktop in the world and it only costs $100 bucks, or a new mp3 player with 1TB of storage for $5, I will never touch an apple product. They do the dirtiest things to make it so that you can ONLY use apple branded stuff - from recessing the standard 3.5mm audio jack on the IPhone so far that normal headphones won't work(yes, it IS a STANDARD headphone jack buried in there), to removing/switching pins on the dock connector for the Iphone so your old cable won't charge it even though it plugs right in, to making the craziest connectors for their computers and not allowing other companies to make them so that you can only find them for outrageous prices from the apple store. Then when everything is finally settled, they come out with a new cell/mp3/computer accessory that is JUST different enough to need new parts but still does the same damn thing. God forbid you ever want to customize or add on to whatever you buy without going through one of their online "App Stores" - be it for a laptop, desktop, cell, or mp3 player. I'm not even going to get into that...

Here we go again...

- The recessed iPhone jack was stupid, but only exists in the 1st generation iPhone. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS do not have a recessed jack.

- My old iPod cables charge my iPhone and my wife's iPhone just fine.

- Firewire? Mini Display port? What "crazy connectors" are you referring to? Apple licenses the Mini Display Port for no fee... You can buy cables/connectors for both from a number of different places besides just the Apple Store. If you are referring to the iPod adapter, I think the world knows just how many different manufacturers are out there making products with that connector on it.

- The "App Store" is a distribution system for the iPhone and iPod Touch only. It has nothing to do with the laptop and desktop Mac systems. While I don't always agree with Apple's approve/deny policy around the "App Store" it is very nice and simple way to find what you want. This isn't just Apple either, other companies are moving to a similar approach... RIM, Google, Microsoft, Verizon, etc. Don't be surprised in the future if this type of system isn't incorporated into Windows and/or OS X. It's a very easy way to ensure security and unfortunately DRM.

In defense of the Mac's they do have their place just like everything else. If you live in a cubicle and ONLY ever want to do audio/video work on a huge monitor - or better yet, two - then go for the Mac. If you want to use your computer for anything else get a PC.

Macs are far more capable than just preforming audio/video work on a huge monitor from inside a cubicle.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mac Hate This is a warning to you, I've used macs and I don't mind them but I never owned.

I was wondering when this one would turn up. Thing is its ancient. @ clay I can't believe you have not seen this its been on occ several times.

Agree. I haven't gotten a single virus since I started using Vista 64 and Win 7 64. Even then with Win Xp Pro 32, I didn't get viruses. If your getting viruses on a Windows machine your doing something wrong. Like clicking on "You won a free X" ads. I always hear Mac users saying "have fun with all your viruses." When I haven't had a single virus in years.

same here

In terms of viruses, isn't it relevant to percentages? If lets say 5% of people own macs[just a guess] and say 70% use windows. Then the vast majority of users who would get viruses would be windows because a windows OS is a better target + you would hear about win viruses more than mac ones.

In terms of viruses, isn't it relevant to percentages? If lets say 5% of people own macs[just a guess] and say 70% use windows. Then the vast majority of users who would get viruses would be windows because a windows OS is a better target + you would hear about win viruses more than mac ones.

Of course...and most knowledgeable, non-macfanboys know this.

Why post in a place like this about a mac? Mac are not for overclockers, modders, or the like. Macs are for people who want there PC overpriced, with narrow software solutions, with a half eaten apple on it.

Seriously.

Let's start by saying TL;DR...sorry if this has already been answered, just my $0.02.

If you're not gonna be gaming or doing anything intensive why spend $1500 on a Mac or PC? You can surf the net on a $300 PC...even less if you want.

Because it's mattwalter....if you've seen him post, he spends tons of cash on computers.

mainly because im curious more then anything and because you get the monitor/computer keyboard and mouse and the picture is absolutely amazing on it.......

If you're buying it because it comes with evertything, but a cheap laptop, get a docking station, nice mouse and keyboard, and a nice 24" monitor. It'll cost you half the price.

flareback- have u ever had any virus' issues with the mac? and have played games on it?

I've seen some friends at college play games on them. While game support is increasing, many hit titles do not support Mac on the initial release and force you to wait up to 6 months or more for them to release a Mac version. I've never had a friend get a virus, but they are on the rise for Macs since everyone and their brother is buying them for college. Most college students are oblivious to the issue and don't run anti-virus because "their Mac could never get a virus" which is completely false. At a recent conference, a fully patched MacBook was the first to be hacked...in just seconds.

Anyways, I use Macs at college in the computer labs and have no issues with them. For somethings they are simpler, but others you have to dig through the OS to get to. If you want to try a Mac, try it before you buy.

This is the same logic as the tried and tested "Ugly girls don't have STDs" but this doesn't mean I am going to give her a try.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Why post in a place like this about a mac? Mac are not for overclockers, modders, or the like. Macs are for people who want there PC overpriced, with narrow software solutions, with a half eaten apple on it.

Seriously.

OCC does cater to overclockers of course, however we are also still a tech site. :)