Opty 165 Overclocking database

HELL yeah

Those Optys sure rock!!! But as in one single message i've read in this OCDB, as i managed to go further from where i stand (2.4Ghz) the system boot was stable and the temps were OK. BUT in CPUZ the memory (wich should be 198mhz, not over 200 since OCZ platinum 2-3-2-5 ain't a good overclocker) wasnt recognized. Then i just rebooted and the same still happened. To be sure i oppened 3dMark2006 and also the system memory clock couldn't be recognized. I chicken'd out and turned it back to 2.4Ghz. Any clues about tha UFO?

Second thought: i wanna try going to 300x9, so the 2/3 multiplier would keep my memory stable. Might tweak the voltage to 1.45-1.5 volts also. Does anyoen see any problem on that? If anyone with this stepping has any setup to give me i would be the most pleased. Tried to go 2.6Ghz but the memory will go up to DDR440 and i'm really running away from CAS, RAS to CAS latency changes. You would say "try it and tell me", but after the "hiding" memory clock i just don't want to go further on unknown territory. It would be great to see a setup ready!

Reposted since there was no answer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it improved or something, it's been priming at stock voltage for about 15 hours now :D. Once I snag a SI-128 (or another really good cooler), I'll try for 3 GHz.

As for the memory, I believe the same thing happened when I tried running a 3:4 divider (or maybe it was 2:3, can't remember :P). It's nothing to worry about.

I've a similar deal going on here. I can get to 306 FSB with a 1.30 vcore, temps are around 28C Idle but 45C load P95 12 hour stable. I can't seem to get any higher but I'm still trying to fiddle around with my RAM. I think that's the culprit, if you are curious check out my timings in "My 3700+ San Diego OCDB Entry" in my signature. They are the same with the exception of the divider, I still try running them at or below 250MHz. I just don't think my RAM and CPU are getting along too well.

My PWMIC gets extremely hot compared to my 3700, well into or above the mid 50's.

I'll just have to keep at it and be glad I've got something to keep me busy this winter when I'm bored.

I'll keep ya posted. Oh and please let me know what u think as I'm always open to suggestions.

Edit: Ebdoraz, looks like a gem of a CPU u got there. I can't believe your gettin 3.0 under 1.4 vcore. I'm assuming that is at least prime stable?

I am goimg to upgrade my ram to a 2x1gb kit hopefully oc ram but it seems regular DDR is drying up at least the high performance DDR500 kits, hope there is better availability around xmas. I am thinking of switching the 90mm fan on the stock HSF cooler with the vantec and see if that helps and use the Freezer 64 pro for something else later. It really bugs that my temps are so high especially considering that my clocks are great. I am leaving it at 300 FSB for now and got my vcore to 1.325v prime stable 8 hours. Other than temps I love this chip and by the time I will upgrade I am sure AMD will have something that will put the Core Duo 2 to shame. I was Intel for years but AMD has really revived my interest in PCs as a hobby since my accident. I think your ram might not be the issue I found in earlier OC attempts that raising the other chipset voltages would give me more stability, read up on it first but I would see if that gets you anymore. Our steppings seem to be real great if a little hot running and for me anything above 2.6 is Golden. My other CCBWE 0551 barely did 2.6 at 1.55v.

I am goimg to upgrade my ram to a 2x1gb kit hopefully oc ram but it seems regular DDR is drying up at least the high performance DDR500 kits, hope there is better availability around xmas. I am thinking of switching the 90mm fan on the stock HSF cooler with the vantec and see if that helps and use the Freezer 64 pro for something else later. It really bugs that my temps are so high especially considering that my clocks are great. I am leaving it at 300 FSB for now and got my vcore to 1.325v prime stable 8 hours. Other than temps I love this chip and by the time I will upgrade I am sure AMD will have something that will put the Core Duo 2 to shame. I was Intel for years but AMD has really revived my interest in PCs as a hobby since my accident. I think your ram might not be the issue I found in earlier OC attempts that raising the other chipset voltages would give me more stability, read up on it first but I would see if that gets you anymore. Our steppings seem to be real great if a little hot running and for me anything above 2.6 is Golden. My other CCBWE 0551 barely did 2.6 at 1.55v.

Good luck on your quest for good RAM!! Seems Mushkin has some pretty decent sticks, but they're around $250 on newegg. A little on the expensive side......keep checking Ebay.

I haven't messed with the Chipset voltage yet, that's something I'm saving for last resort. I'd swear there is still "break in" periods for PC hardware, right now I'm running dual P95 @ 2.83 GHz (315 FSB, 9x) with Vcore @ 1.4 volts WHILE playing Warhammer 40K with absolutely ho hiccups. I couldn't do that when I first got the CPU. We'll see where we are in 8 hours or so, so far at 1.5 hours stable. Temps are good at 40C Load.

Good luck on your quest for good RAM!! Seems Mushkin has some pretty decent sticks, but they're around $250 on newegg. A little on the expensive side......keep checking Ebay.

Some very good sticks. And in fairness to Mushkin this is the approximate price Redlines have always been. At least they're not taking advantage of the situation.

WOOOOOOOOOOT!

I finally got my 165 upto 2.6Ghz!! FX-60 Baby!!!

22hrs prime stable with a complete set of OCDB tests :)

The only downfall is that my ram licks ball$ so i had to drop it to a 140 divider, lol, but that will all change when i get my HZ's in a week or 2 then i will see if i can get it any higher.