Opty 165 Overclocking database

I must have the worst Opteron 165 on the planet. :( Cannot recall the markings on the CPU, but CPU-Z tell me the following:

Family: F

Ext. Family: F

Model: 3

Ext. Model: 23

Stepping:2

Revision: JH9-E6

Other 165s with these identifiers can overclock to 3 GHz - there are a few examples in this form.

Mine starts developing SuperPi errors at stock V at only 2.2 GHz!

I cannot even boot into Windows at 267 HT. 260 HT makes SuperPi fail on the first run.

I tried the following:

288, stock and 1.45 V LDT/FSB 3x = no boot

267 stock and 1.45V LDT/FSB 3x = no boot

260 1.45V LDT/FSB 3x = SuperPi fail

250 stock LDT/FSB 4x = SuperPi fail

250 1.35v LDT/FSB 4x = all is well, Prime95 running well, temps are fine (nVmonitor reports 46C CPU and 59 system while running Prime95 torture test.)

I left my RAM at "Determine by SPI" so it is not being overclocked.

I will try to overclock to a higher FSB sometime later - what other settings should I try to increase my chance of success? How far should I push the voltage, etc...

Cheers,

V.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome To The Forums :)

Those identifiers in CPU-z do not whatsoever determine the stepping. You have to read the top of the CPU in order to find out what stepping you have.

You still have to take baby steps, even with these magical Opty 165's. Manually imputting a few of your memory timings into the Genie Bios might help out the cause. Since you have 2 different sets, its going to be a bit more difficult, and right off the bat, you should set CPC to 2T (if you plan on using the mismatched kits).

I think 1 question you need to ask right off the bat, is "do i need the extra 2x512 kit" because things will be quite a bit easier (though not always) trying to get the 2x1GB kit running, than to get the 2x1gb & the 2x512 kits running together.

Once you answer that question, try inputting the main 4 timings (they will either be on a sticker on the ram, or you can get that info from the product page. Then set your ram to 200Mhz 1:1 (where it says determine by SPD). Next, you need to run memtest. You should run that from the BIOS, specifically tests #5 and #8 for 5-10 passes each, then if that comes back with no errors, do the full test for 4-6 hours.

Once you have determined that your ram is good at stock speeds, then you can start to play around abit.

Seeing as you have Value Ram, you are definetly going to have to put it on a divider if you want to up the CPU clock. Start upping your FSB in increments of 5, or 10 if your impatient, and booting to windows and doing a 30 min stress test. If that passes, move on to the next increment. If it fails however, try bumping the cpu voltage up a notch (you really should watch your temps while doing this, but at the beginning it shouldnt be too much of a worry)

Once you work your way up to 267 again, try putting your ram on a 150 divider. That should put the effective speed at close to 200MHz (value ram usually likes to stay close to stock clocks)

Have you read the overclocking guide thats in my sig?

EDIT: Here is a good link on how to set up Prime95 (the Ultimate stress test) on a dual core system:

Linkage

Thanks Ellis,

that was a super speedy reply :-)

Yes, I forgot to mention that I did read the overclocking guide and that I was using the 100MHz dividers for RAM and 2.5x for LDT/FSB when I was trying for the 267 and higher overclock.

Just getting all the RAM to work was a bonus for me - and yes I do use it. I do quite a bit of desktop print and web design and have to multitask several apps at a time.

I am thus almost happy with my 2.2 GHz stable overclock - I would only want more as 2.6 and higher overclocks seem so readily achievable by others...

Cheers,

V.

My results

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency - 300

LDT/FSB Frequency Ration - 3

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - 9

PCI eXpress Frequency - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - 1.5v

CPU VID Control - 1.5

CPU VID Special Control - Auto

LDT Voltage Control - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.60v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.7v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 166

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 03 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 15 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 01 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 166Mhz 3.9us

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 1

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - 08 cycle

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 08 x

Bypass Max - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(8 Bursts)

Summary: CPU: [email protected] 1.5v Memory: 245Mhz 3,4,3,8 1T

I tried alittle to reach 2.8Ghz but no luck sofar. My temps are 45°C full load right now with a Scythe Ninja (Lapped).

Without knowing your exact stepping, its hard to point you in the right direction in regards to settings. Every opty clocks differently and react differently to voltage.

One thing that i could see holding a stable overclock back is that PSU. Its a little underpowered though you might be able to get by cause you dont have a power hungry video card, but if you come across an extra bit of cash....have a look at the Recommended PSU's (link in my sig) to find one that fits your pricepoint.

You were right in the way to test your max CPU, but i have found that sometimes running on that low of a divider can cause the pc to not boot. I would try a different approach and try to keep your memory at as close to 200mhz as possible.

Did you run memtest with all the sticks in at 200mhz to see if they all jived together? In your case you might have to play with the timings a bit more to get a higher overclock strictly because of the mixmatched sets....and you do have CPC to 2T right?

Ok here is the deal

As you can see i've OCed my rig just a lil bit and still it gave me a nice boost in performance. But, before I instal the Smartguard, the Omega Drivers with its tracking tools and ATI Tray tools, a software from Logitech that controls my mouse sensibility and the Norton Antivirus I ran 3dMark06 once. The score was like 500 higher then it is now, and of course that has to do with all that crap running along on my PC (using some memory and CPU). The "in game" experience has not changed al all, since most games now dont use dual core features and memory isnt the main problem when you have 2gigs. No fps changes.

The problem is that my startup is EXTREMELY slow. Giving my opteron a notch, going to 2.5Ghz (just 100mhz more) made a HUGE difference. I was wondering if:

A - Are all that tracking softwares holding me down? I know Norton does but what about the others? Anyone with experience on that field might help. Any solutions would be great also

B - Im thinking about pumping my memory, going from 2-3-2-5 400mhz to 2.5-3-2-5 430 or even 440 mhz. Would that give me a boost on startup? I know that memory has little to do with improvements on games. After you have a good memory in a great size any improvement doesnt reflect on games. Any good ideas about the pros when you pump your memory up?

thanks in advance. This is a copy from a thread i've posted on de overclocking general area. I'm sorry, but i know that ppl on this particular post are great in this area so I copied. Plz dont be mad at me!

Hello Ellis,

I think it is the CCBWE thing. I know it has a W in its name. I do not know the exact stepping so this information is likely also not going to help. I do not want to take off the heatsink as I have already done it once before when my original motherboard died (Gigabyte something or other 939-Ultra). The first time I took off the heatsink I also ripped out the CPU as the bloody phase change goo turned into glue.

I ran the Memtest on the entire 3Gb and it was all fine: Here is what Memtest reported (Setting wise) 2.5-3-3-7 @ 204 MHz. Bios reports "T2 settings"

WRT the PSU, yes I may start running into problems sometime down the track, so I turned off most of the legacy stuff in the BIOS as I do not use it. My graphics card is an nVidia 6600 as my 7800GS AGP is unfortunately entirely incompatible :sad:

Cheers,

V.

Ok success!

The problem was the memory divider. I manually set it to 150 Mhz and my machine got into Windows and ran fine at 280HT (2520 Mhz). Unfortunately the subsequent memtest failed.

Now I am testing this setup:

HT 274

RAM: 150 Mhz 2.5-3-3-8 (effective 205Mhz RAM clock)

LDT/FSB: 3x

CPU V: 1.40V

Everything else is stock.

SuperPi failed at 32M on 1.375V, so now I am testing 1.40V.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

V.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi U guys,

I just bought myself a opty 165 CCBBE0616XPMW and I just want to say that it OC:s like a dream. (2,7 on auto vcore)

But I'm having problems with my temps, during load Everest reads:

CPU 50C

CPU Core1 62C

CPU Core2 62C

and Smartguardian:

CPU 50C

After reading the forum, I've seen pepole saying that 50C is way too high and it may damage the cpu. But which temp are they talking about? If they are talking about the core temp then I've got some major problems. But, if it is the CPU temps people are referring to then I'm not in too deep.

P.S. my idle temps are according to Everest

CPU 34C

CPU Core1 35C

CPU Core2 42C

Thanx in advance

50 C won't damage the CPU, but 60+ isn't good for it. I have the same heatsink and a similar CPU, and I'm hitting 55-58 C in CoreTemp, with the CPU at 2.8 GHz/1.375v. What paste are you using? Try reapplying it and reseating the heatsink. Here's a picture of the temperatures I'm getting right now with two copies of Folding@Home running.

Got a couple 165 CCBBE 0615 EPMW off the Egg about a month ago,just getting around to testing them,9x300 w/1.375Vcor,

a64info9x300me7.th.jpg

27ghzprimeuw6.th.jpg

MBM5 was reporting 44-47C under load,Everest was reporting the Cores at 53-57C,really don't want to push any futher at this point w/present air cooling 'til I find out what's safe

Any ideas on what temp reading utility to trust