unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I'm hopefully buying an Opty 165 soon, and wanted to know where you guys got your 165's. Also is there a retailer or retailers that carry the high OC'ing Opty 165's? I understand that it's a "luck" thing when getting your processor, however I just wanted to see if there was a pattern of retailers that sell the better Opterons.

Thanks

Hi

I took the plunge and got myself an Opty 170 ( CCB1E 0609FPAW)

Initial results were promising, dual Super Pi had errors start at 265 *10 at stock voltage !!! so far I am at 281*10 @ 1.475v (10 h P95 stable). Given I am on water cooling my CPU temps seems to be higher with the Venus than they ever were with the Exper but maybe because I have read that the Opty's seem to run warmer ?? am getting 38C under load at the moment - so 42-43C allowing for a degree or two variation.

I am thinking of popping the hood on this and see where it gets me, so far most BIOS are at default settings and have not got as far as seeing what the RAM will give me with the new CPU. The drop in overall CPU temp will no doubt be beneficial but I am wondering as to how much extra I will gain by doing this.

I admit 3G would be wonderful but I would be more than happy to get as far as 2.9.

Your thoughts ????

DSCF1897.jpg

adding another 92mm fan over the mosfets got me stable @ 1.4v, dropped 15C off pwmc and 4C off CPU load temps.

I know, I gotta update my sig badly, can' decide on whether to do a smurf theme or not.

0550 VPMW

heh from 2.7ghz to 2.8ghz is about a 0.15v jump 1.45v at 2.7 1.6v at 2.8, going to try between 1.55v(it fails) and 1.6v now to see if i can drop it.

3ghz is bootable and superpi-able but only at 1.65v+ and prime insta fails :P

I just replaced my "exhaust fan" (it's blowing in), changed my stock AMD cooler fan to a Cooler Master 80mm and changed that pwmic fan to a 120mm one, my load temps dropped to 50C load when dual priming, and my pwmic dropped 9C, and my chipset dropped 3C. :D

DSCF1903.jpg

me too, I think it's what caused my initial instability. Happy now though. Still priming since last night. Anyone know if there is an app like prime95 for mac os x? Or how to emulate windows apps on an intel mac os x build?

Edit

Added 120mm fan in front, replaced 80mm sidepanel fan with 120mm fan and replaced slow exhaust fan (it's actually blowing into the case). I also removed the 92mm fan, ruined the whole look of the pc, imo. My Load temps are down to 50C CPU, 50C PWMIC and 47 for the chipset. Now I am truly happy with this setup. gonna make another long prime run overnight to see how it goes.

DSCF1912.jpg