unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

I seem to have missed the boat on these 939 Opterons. Would it be a good plan to wait for the current users to ditch them, thus scoring cheap. Or will they be out classed by the next gen of video cards?

Different matter entirely, video and CPU.

If you're a gamer, and you're running the setup in your sig, keep working on your O/C of the venice core CPU and get a new video card for better gaming speed. The opteron 165/170 is simply a good-overclocking dualcore CPU that generally gets from the stock MHz to somewhere between 2.6-3.0GHz, depending on setup, core revision and cooling

Dual core CPUs don't improve gaming speed yet... and games aren't really written to take advantage of it, the bottleneck is still video render speed for 3D.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have missed the boat on these 939 Opterons. Would it be a good plan to wait for the current users to ditch them, thus scoring cheap.

Lol i wouldnt count on scoring cheap, some people view them as an investment they can actually make money on, I personally don't think a chip that can do 3ghz makes it any more valuable than a chip that does 2.6ish, the differene is only in the size of your e-penis

I seem to have missed the boat on these 939 Opterons. Would it be a good plan to wait for the current users to ditch them, thus scoring cheap. Or will they be out classed by the next gen of video cards?

People are already dumping good stepping cheap. I've dumps two myself. You can find new unopened 165's with good steppings for under $300 on ebay. Or in for sale threads in forums. Don't waste money on 170's unless you have a board that won't do high HTT's none that I've had scale better then the 165's with good steppings. Good Luck

People are already dumping good stepping cheap. I've dumps two myself. You can find new unopened 165's with good steppings for under $300 on ebay. Or in for sale threads in forums. Don't waste money on 170's unless you have a board that won't do high HTT's none that I've had scale better then the 165's with good steppings. Good Luck

Anyone who has researched O/C work with the 165s and 170s will understand that you should listen well to the experience of Nemesis... he's had several different-flavored dual-cores testing over the last few months.

In fact, I used some of his tips to get my current 165 0617 CCBBE to where it's at now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here own a CCBWE 0608MPMW? I can't seem to get it above 2.25Ghz on stock, but that might be normal I am not sure. I just was looking for any tips with this processor. My rig is listed, any help is greatly appreciated. (I have tried 1.4V and it didn't seem to go any higher)

Well when I try to go higher there are different degrees of what is done. One of the somethings is it will enter Windows then bluescreen or freeze. Another is it will boot off the HD and say a windows file is missing. Another is it will simply reboot before it boots off the HD. I'm hoping I can go higher, I think I can try 1.45V. I have set my RAM dividers to keep it as close to 200 as I can 190-210 is the range I've been in. My HTT multiplier is 3 when it goes over 250.

Guest GripS

Never heard of skyhawk but that's not saying much.

Sounds like your ram isn't stable. Might need to loosen up the timings a little bit.

Yeah i'm playing around still. I just am not sure what needs changed. I am still relatively new to AMD. The only thing I have been doing is setting the divder so it would be close to 200 and keep the ram timings the same. So you think changing them would help eh? Also the PS was reconmended by Angry/Happy Games.

Well when I try to go higher there are different degrees of what is done. One of the somethings is it will enter Windows then bluescreen or freeze. Another is it will boot off the HD and say a windows file is missing. Another is it will simply reboot before it boots off the HD. I'm hoping I can go higher, I think I can try 1.45V. I have set my RAM dividers to keep it as close to 200 as I can 190-210 is the range I've been in. My HTT multiplier is 3 when it goes over 250.

Sounds to me like your bios/ram settings need to be tweaked. Particulary tref, data strengths, read preamble, & max async latency. Start by heading over to this post and click on your ram and set bios (ram settings) accordingly. As you increase you oc you may need to adjust some things here & there (read preamble/max asysnc latency). Some dual core's don't like certain divider's no matter what clock your at. I've found the 2/3 divider pretty much works with them all though. Also tref plays a part with dual core's & dividers as well. You may have to try auto with 2/3 divider till you find what works & then move on. Most dual core opty 165's will do 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz no matter what the steppings. It's just a matter of adding a little more voltage & finding the right memory settings. Shouldn't take more than 1.5v on air to reach 2.5-2.6ghz though. Also I didn't see any data posted where you found your max stable oc for you board or ram. Typically one lowers the multiplier on the cpu and starts there so that one knows theirs system before oc the cpu. Hope this helps:)

I've set the settings accordingly for my ram. I will try to see my max stable overclock with my board and ram right now.

Update: Well at 280 HTT and my opty running at a x5 multiplyer it seems I still error in prime 95. So it appears it would be a setting somewhere else and not with my CPU. I was running at a 2/3 divder making my ram running at around 200Mhz. At lower buses it seems to work fine. I had it at 2.4Ghz at 269 x 9 with a 2/3 divder. What could be the problem here. My ram does indeed run above 200Mhz fine, but I am keeping it as close to 200 as I can. My settings are as follows for the ram.

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 200

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T

CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 2T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 3T

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 2T

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 10T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... Normal 3

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 1

Max Async Latency............................. 8ns

DRAM Response Time............................ Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... 256

Dynamic Counter............................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x

Bypass Max.................................... 4x

32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)