unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I've been overclocking my new 170 opty and things seem to be going very well, at stock volts it manages a stable 2.8ghz with nice low temps. If I feed it around 1.45 volts it will clock to 3ghz but when I dual prime my PWMIC temps double to around 70C! I let it go for an hour but it hit 74C so I wimped out and stopped prime.

Am I just being a total wimp? Is this temp fine??

Cheers

she needs better cooling captain, I can't hold her together much longer

dammit scotty, i just need 0.05 more volts

seriously just put a fan over the PWMIC area, then you should be golden

doh, not another fan! seriously though does anyone have any info that says 60-70 is to much?? :)

I did a quick bit of research on the temp range of these pulse width modulators controller ICs (PWMIC). They seem to range from a max of 85C all the way up to 125C. Does anyone know what PWMs the Ultra-D uses? They sound like they are far more durable than most people think.

some guy on this forum says 110C??

does anyone have any info that says 60-70 is to much??
In terms of safety, it has been widely reported that these temps will not cause damage to your components. However, it has also been reported that increased PWMIC temps can decrease stability. If I were you, I would find my max overclock as is. Then put a fat fan over the area and see if you get any more speed. If you do, you have a decision to make, otherwise, you're fine.

doh, not another fan! seriously though does anyone have any info that says 60-70 is to much?? :)

I did a quick bit of research on the temp range of these pulse width modulators controller ICs (PWMIC). They seem to range from a max of 85C all the way up to 125C. Does anyone know what PWMs the Ultra-D uses? They sound like they are far more durable than most people think.

some guy on this forum says 110C??

If you don't want to put a fan over it get an old mobo then scavenge for any aluminum mosfet coolers or similar to that effect. I did and added them on my SLI-DR and the temp came to an average of 8-10 degrees. I stuck them with a bit of super glue and put a dab of AS5 on them.

CPU#1 APIC ID = 0

Name AMD Opteron 165 (UP)

Code Name Toledo

Specification Dual Core AMD Opteron Processor 165

Family / Model / Stepping F 3 2

Extended Family / Model F 23

Brand ID 44

Package Socket 939

Core Stepping JH9-E6

Technology 90 nm

Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

CPU Clock Speed 2700.6 MHz

Clock multiplier x 9.0

HTT Bus Frequency 300.1 MHz