NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I built my system I did not plug in the 4-pin Floppy power connector to my motherboard on the count that I needed it for my Floppy drive. My system booted up and is working fine. Now I'm not doing any overclocking yet, and my Bios is still set to Optimized Defaults, but Memtest ran fine and everything seems stable.

I intend to get a extra 4-pin Floppy Power adapter so I'll have that pluged into my motherboard eventually.

Question - The MB pamflet says on 2.1 that if the heatsink already has thermal paste peel the strip off ... I am using a retail 165 heatsink and I do not see thermal paste but I see a thin layer of grey material

Do I peel this off?

I have AS5 to put on the cpu but I have not yet

if you want to use the stock heatsink, then you should leave the grey waxy material that comes on the bottom of the stock heatsink alone and just mount the sink on the cpu

if you want to use an aftermarket heatsink, or want to use AS5 or some other material, then you must remove the grey waxy thermal pad before you do use any other material!!!

my suggestion is that if you are going to use stock heatsink that came with the processor, then don't touch it at all, just mount it with the grey thermal pad

I have AS5 already right here ... I am just not sure you know that

With that said, should I still just use the supplied Opteron retail heatsink material

By the way, I replaced the heatsink fan with a 120 mm delta that came with a retail AX7 heatsink ... if that makes a difference?

I have AS5 already right here ... I am just not sure you know that

With that said, should I still just use the supplied Opteron retail heatsink

By the way, I replaced the heatsink fan with a 120 mm delata that came with a retail AX7 heatsink ... if that makes a difference?

um

im not really sure exactly what you mean

you already have AS5 right here? what does this mean?

120mm Delta is going to be a VERY loud fan and is totally unecessary...and that really doesn't tell me what heatsink you are using it on (because I know for a fact it will not work on the stock heatsink)

what you really need to do before you post another word, is go read the rules of this forum and I don't mean ignore my advice and just glance at them or say you already read them (*because you might have read them but you have ignored the meaning of them about signatures*) and really pay attention to the part about making a good signature

because honestly I nor anyone is really going to help you with that weak signature you have since we have no clue what components are in your system...and if you want help, you need to be willing to help US help YOU

I will update it once I get this all installed. And I did ask for help but someone moved my thread to the purchasing advice forum

Anyways, I mean I have Arctic Silver 5 here with me, I planned on using so I bought it. I never knew this material was on the retail Opteron heatsink. I am not so sure which to use?

Why wont the Delata 120 mm fan work on the retail Opteron 165 cpu? This fan came with a retail AX7. I screwed it on and it appears to fit. Arent you allowed to change fans on the retail Opteron 165 heatsink from the 80 mm?

I will be using

Opteron 165 0550 UPMW Reatil With Retail Heatsink

DFI Ultra - d

Enermax Liberty 500

2 GB GSkill UCCC

Leadtech 6800 GT

WD Sata2 250 GB KS

XP SP2

Stacker STC101