Touted "Karajan audio" is the worst I've heard in 3 years

Travis, what are you taking about here "active heatsinks"?

notice that ONLY the NF4 board has an active cooling solution? (heatsink + fan). We have never offered such a thing before as these LanParty/Infinity boards are targeted towards overclockers/enthusiasts who always prefer their own solutions...the majority of customers buy these boards only for the performance and hardware options...no one buys a LanParty/Infinity board because of how well all the electronics are sinked or cooled.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sound card in a PCI-E slot would almost be a waste of the available bus, perhaps 1x, but 2x and such would be much better suited to a network card.

However, it's about the only solution (except USB, which I'm currently doing) if your two PCI slots are already full!

CJ

notice that ONLY the NF4 board has an active cooling solution? (heatsink + fan). We have never offered such a thing before as these LanParty/Infinity boards are targeted towards overclockers/enthusiasts who always prefer their own solutions...the majority of customers buy these boards only for the performance and hardware options...no one buys a LanParty/Infinity board because of how well all the electronics are sinked or cooled.

but think what dynamite the boards would be if they were equipped with great HSs and HSFs right off the bandwagon eh? ;) personally i think you got the cooling right on the LP SLI boards, nice mosfet sinks, japanease resistors, and a pretty killer chipset cooler (once its been lapped to remove that horrid pitted machine finish and AS ceramique applied of course :cool: )

• 4 weeks later...

Ok can I put it this way... Who does not overclock if you owned a DFI nForce board with AMD Athlon64? If you overclocking do play some game? And I doubt there is any serious gamer and overclocker won't use a Audigy 2 ZS sound card. This is because hardware accelerated sound and EAX4 just amazing feature. The only this I dislike it why they take out the parallel port? The USB-Parallel solution just did not work.

I'm incredibly impressed with the onboard sound/karajan module, after using it i decided against buying a sound card. Very nice work on dfi's part, especially placing it on its own circuit board.

/me faced some problems wiht the nvidia driver for the karjan in some games and using the VLC media player but after using the realtek driver from its homepageit is working very fine now and no more problems

i think DFI should recommand using the Realtek driver anyway

I dn, I got this soundstorm for free and wold'nt trade it for any card probably:

Encode mono to dolby digital.

Wow, even =the most expensive boxes don't have this, they only do stereo to dolby digital and they cost from $1000-2000.

Digital peramic eq's, I've heard that creative has these though, still I love these and I ue 3 of them.

Bad @ss software eq.

This is the most availible bands I've seen so far in a sound car driver.

Though all software based eq's blow big time and WILL screw up sound period.

So I don't use.

The normal reverb, just like realtek's.

Works allright, very buggy but works.

Not as good as creatives though so I've been told, I guess creative's is true stereo instead of mixxed mono.

Realtek's work in stereo though, so it must be the driver I use, 4.31.

Somewhat low cpu usage.

I really have'nt checked this for real, but seems allright.

I can pretty much use anything and don't noticed and speed diffrence off hand.

But like I said, I have'nt really checked this.

Handles:

PCM16

PCM24

PCM32

IEEE Float

All I can say is wow, nice job nvidia.

I dn if creative can handle this or not though.

I would'nt mind knowing.

Digital sub/lfe crossover, in 1hz steps.

Sweet :D, this thing is nice and does'nt seem to have any bad effects at all when enabled.

Digital distortion.

I could use up top 3 in a row linked up to each other.

I have'nt used these before though, I don't have a guitar.

I used to but never had a good amp so it sucked, I smashed it because I got bored etc etc.

I wished I still had it now, I would of tried it using this soundstorm effect.

I dn, I love this soundstorm.

It has very good snr compared to the normal realtek 650 I believe it was.

Same exact chip, just that nvidia somehow does it much better, or maybe it's dfi that did it right :) .

Hell if I wanted better snr I could use the fiber out if I went and found a module for it.

As is I could use the coax.

But then I'd have to spend alot of money on a worthless sony reciever, which blows.

I hate those cheap $500 recievers, they are crap really(I've had 2, blew the 1st, pissed on the 2nd after I smashed it lol).

I would have to spend good money on house mono amps, or car amps to inprove what I got.

That's somethign I'm not really willing to do this day and age.

Ive had no problems using realtek in any game ive played at all, I am very impressed with the module, its quality sounds fine through my speakers and subwoofer, no hissing or crackling even at the loudest of volumes, forgot to install it though when first fitting my motherboard, but i just managed to fit it in lol. duh :rolleyes:

games played:

Call of Duty:D very noisy game lol

Far Cry

Half Life 2

Doom 3

Blitzkrieg

Joint operations

Home World 2

Warhammer 40k

The MSI/SB rig does sound good if you can get it to work.

You had to find a PSU with the -5V rail included. Serious bonehead move on their part was not informing the buyers that the system required the -5V rail until after they bought the mobo.

I can't tell you how many of those things I've seen with SB cards in the PCI slots.

update:

I see they added a special warning at the very bottom of the page. That blows big ones since no body reads the fine print.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ail.php?UID=638

Its in the atx 1.3 spec, is it not?