Touted "Karajan audio" is the worst I've heard in 3 years

Reportedly Sanstrom wasn't continued because the reviewers did not say enough good things about it untill it was gone. Most of the manufacturers did not even bother to implment soundstorm even when they paid extra for the chip that had it enabled. I bet it was more expensive to implement than the lower end solutions. I had the soundstorm with Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 and I just could not be happier with the sound. Sounded better than anything but higher end home theater and that is some real money. It sounded better than a old soundblaster audio card though it has ben a long time sence I had a sound card.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesnt having a PCI soundcard also use less cpu when you are running games

Music Fans

If you understand SNR and sensitivity then you would get a PCI card

otherwise if you dont care about your Music use onboard

never understood the whole onboard sound thing

there is a noticeable quality difference to me when i hear music played through onboard

sound and i think it sucks hard no matter how good it is

you obviously never used SoundStorm. SS was EASILY better than Audigy's for the sole reasons that 1) it was an actual hardware chipset embedded in the southbridge (like mounting a PCI card onto the mobo, not some crappy software-based sound) and 2) it's not a creative product - no craptastic creative drivers.

SoundStorm was an absolute blessing. with philip's lack of support for their cards, a lack of quality low-mid ranged audio cards, and the high prices for alternatives to SoundBlasters, this was the only sound solution that really could replace creative. i went from NF2U to NF4U and it wasnt until DFI released their NF4 line that i found out that they stopped SoundStorm with the NF2Us. makes no sense to me at all =/

it wasnt until DFI released their NF4 line that i found out that they stopped SoundStorm with the NF2Us. makes no sense to me at all =/

Money made the choice easy for nVidia. They weren't getting the demand from the majority of users and the motherboard makers didn't want to pay the difference if no one noticed, so were're back where we started.

i think that most will have their own audio solution that buy these type of boards (thats why we dont go all-out with active heatsinks and CCFL kits in teh box etc).

and if you don't have one and/or don't want a PCI solution...the onboard audio is pretty dadgum good.

karajan audio is ok But I may get a better sound card though when I use voip and I'm listening the voices sorta have a metallic sound to them. I'm useing the nvidia sound drivers are the other ones better ?

But music etc sounds fine so ohhh well

chances are that had nvidia needed to relicense and get certification from dolby to continue offering it they needed it when ms chose them to supply the chipset for the xbox. You notice how the nforce2 seems to be going out at the same time as xbox. I think the only reason it was made available was they already paid for the rights to it. But now anyone who had it and utilized the DDL encoding which to some extent requires hardware that is wasted without it for example my dts reciever. I triedthe nvidia sound instead of the realtek and it does not appear work well (on the xp64 preview 2ch only)

i think that most will have their own audio solution that buy these type of boards (thats why we dont go all-out with active heatsinks)
Travis, what are you taking about here "active heatsinks"?