Touted "Karajan audio" is the worst I've heard in 3 years

Yikes, I need to retract this thread in embarrassment. Out of the blue, I reinstalled the NVidia drivers. This has resulted in far better sound.

I've done this for 10 years, and typically when drivers give problems there's a warning in the control panel.....other than video drivers which I do reinstall regularly. I had no warning, no mark in the control panel and no indication of a driver issue. I suppose somewhere something got corrupted. Sound is much better now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt a synth setting would stop the "clip" sound in Battlefield: Vietnam. Nor would it restore missing sounds (like jet engines). While I appreciate any "advice" to the contrary I will read it but will not receive it...you know, like some in-game explosions: seen but not heard.

yep. that will improve quality a huge amount, if you know what your doing with it you can probably eliminate all the "pops" etc. although missing sounds and so forth are obviously driver problems.

^

Yikes, I need to retract this thread in embarrassment. Out of the blue, I reinstalled the NVidia drivers. This has resulted in far better sound.

I've done this for 10 years, and typically when drivers give problems there's a warning in the control panel.....other than video drivers which I do reinstall regularly. I had no warning, no mark in the control panel and no indication of a driver issue. I suppose somewhere something got corrupted. Sound is much better now.

Did you reload the entire Nvida N4 driver package----or just that windows update audio driver??

and correct me if I'm wrong----but you ONLY use one set of Audio drivers----either the Nvidia or the realtek----but never both. Correct??

and I take it that most people recommend the nvidia drivers.

doesnt having a PCI soundcard also use less cpu when you are running games

Music Fans

If you understand SNR and sensitivity then you would get a PCI card

otherwise if you dont care about your Music use onboard

never understood the whole onboard sound thing

there is a noticeable quality difference to me when i hear music played through onboard

sound and i think it sucks hard no matter how good it is

From Nforce 2 MCP to MSI K8N w/ Creative 24-bit Soundblaster was not THAT bad of a drop off in quality.

But there are some sounds in World of Warcraft that are just WRETCHED with this SLI-DR board. The "accept quest" and "complete quest" sounds, instead of being nice sharp drumbeats and/or horn tweats, sound like something out of an 8 track tape that was left out in the sun for too long.

This is embarrassing for DFI!! MSI did it right with the Creative chip (as much as I despise creative as a company)

you are right...but maybe you are just a cheapskate if you want a highend system with bells and whistles but dont want to spend $42 for a NICE soundcard (Audigy2 Value OEM) which i got eg. from mwave.

As for my part i didnt even BOTHER switching on the Karajan thing ever since i got the board.. i'd also've been happy if they left that thing out at all...and make the board $10/$15 cheaper.

Ironically, i had a DECENT onboard solution on my former system which had a cmedia8738 chip...not ultra highend but very well enough for most...comparable to a SB live.

Music Fans

If you understand SNR and sensitivity then you would get a PCI card

otherwise if you dont care about your Music use onboard

never understood the whole onboard sound thing

there is a noticeable quality difference to me when i hear music played through onboard

sound and i think it sucks hard no matter how good it is

because MOST OB sound solutions are, excuse my language, cr*p :)

usually however this karajan audio module is quite good in that area. it is prob one of the best onboard audio solutions available right now on any motherboard. (you have to remember we are talking about a 140 dollar motherboard. good pci sound cards are generally 60-100 dollars alone.)

here is a good benchmark comparison of onboard audio for nf4 systems. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=19

I would tend to think of onboard sound the same way I think of onboard video. It is nice to have if something happens to your main card, other than that, not worth using. I imagine most of us have upgraded computers so much that we have pretty good parts laying around that we can swap in for replacement when the main card goes down. Perhaps it is a value board deal that somehow got carried over to the big boys line.

Did you reload the entire Nvida N4 driver package----or just that windows update audio driver??

and correct me if I'm wrong----but you ONLY use one set of Audio drivers----either the Nvidia or the realtek----but never both. Correct??

and I take it that most people recommend the nvidia drivers.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I loaded Realtek drivers. Those are the horrid ones. Without realizing it, I installed Nvidia drivers on top of them - the entire nforce package but I said no to ethernet, ide, and forceware. The sound is far, far better. I never did uninstall the Realtek drivers which do not even allow for adjusting of each speaker individually. The realtek drivers are listed in add/remove programs but the little taskbar icon is gone.

DXDIAG reports only nvidia files in the sound tab.

I'm scared to uninstall the realtek drivers. They are pure ., but if everything's working great I'm not sure I should uninstall them.