Touted "Karajan audio" is the worst I've heard in 3 years

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I am disappointed with the sound from the Karagen module. Popping, cracking, missing sounds, etc (the latest Realtek drivers didn't help). Perhaps a module based on the 880 HD-Audio chip will be something to talk about but for now I'm going back to the Audigy 2 ZS (A new one. I sold the old one hoping the Karagen audio would live up to its reviews:().

I should add: even *if* I knew the audio was sub-standard before I purchased the board I *still* would have chosen the DFI SLI-D. As far as stability and overall performance I couldn't be happier. So "no", I'm not selling my board to you and "yes" DFI has a new fan. :angel:

the sound isnt terrible. To get maximum quality out of any sound device you need to know how to work a synthesizer as all sound products default to a "flat" preset in the driver. once you work that synthesizer magic sound quality will improve dramatically, although of course some problems are always going to be driver related that need fixing.

yep. that will improve quality a huge amount, if you know what your doing with it you can probably eliminate all the "pops" etc. although missing sounds and so forth are obviously driver problems.

I'm waiting for my NF4 UltraD to arrive, but WAS going to get the MSI board because of the integrated Creative Chip, fortunately I read about the -5v pin requirement on a different forum. I'm afraid MSI is not being very "up front" about the -5v requirement, my PSU doesn't have that feature. Pays to do a little research no?

the MSI board isnt anything so hot, best 2 boards out right now without a shout of a doubt is the DFI LP NF4 series and the Asus A8N SLI Dlx. I know, i own them both and know others who own a few other NF4 boards by different companies :D

I doubt a synth setting would stop the "clip" sound in Battlefield: Vietnam. Nor would it restore missing sounds (like jet engines). While I appreciate any "advice" to the contrary I will read it but will not receive it...you know, like some in-game explosions: seen but not heard.

I'm not hearing any pops or crackles.

What I am hearing is SOME sounds (not all) that were very clear and distinct under both Nforce2 and Creative-24-bit on my RMA'd MSI board now sound like they're on an 8-track tape that was left out in the sun for way too long.

Specific examples, as I listed earlier, are the "quest acceptance" drumbeat in World of Warcraft. With both the sound solutions in my first paragrah, the sound is a specific drumbeat with definite instruments. In your mind, you can practically make out the drumsticks playing each drum. With this board, that sound is a muddled mess. It sounds horrible.

The same with the quest completion horn tone in World of Wacraft. With the sound solutions in my first paragraph, the horn tone is very distinct and very obvious. With this motherboard, the horn tone sounds like someone's playing a tape player underwater. It's completely muddled and mushy.

Other sounds are fine and distinct. These two examples are not my only two examples.

Could there be a midi driver that I should tweak?

Further information - the windowsupdate web site gives me the following available update:

Nvidia Corporation - Sound - NVIDIA® nForce Audio Codec Interface

Date last published: 2/5/2005

Download size: 636 KB

NVIDIA Corporation multimedia software update released on October 22 2004.

System Requirements

Recommended CPU: Not specified.

Recommended memory: Not specified.

Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.

Help and support

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/

However I only get "failed install" when i try to install it

Ok if dfi really wants seperate themselves from the others how about a optional sound module using the cmedia chip that has the dolby digital live encoder ehhh how bout that? I would get one if there was somebody selling them in the states. Why is korea the only country with this chip being sold? Also could anyone with a dolby dts reciever hooked up to the spdif on this board give details on the quality/features when switching between the nvidia and realcrap output via mb jumper?

I would mention, the Phillips AcousticEdge sounds great, and is pretty cheap. No driver support but it works fine, dont need any.

Anyone try TurtleBeach card? or the MAudio card? Any of these worthwhile?

It really is puzzling why NVidia so despised thier own product...soundstorm. They should make it a x1 PCIe card, they'd sell a bazillion.