Lawsuit By Ultra Products Against Lots Of Psu Manufacturers

I don't think anyone can easily say this is a "get rich quick scheme" and they should have done something sooner. How long have modular PSUs been around 3-5 years? Patents often take anywhere from 3-7 years to actually be issued after the initial application. Between the time that the patent is applied for (publicized) and actually issued, there isn't really much protection for the applicant. Companies can jump in and starting using a design, but once the patent gets issued things like this happen.

Without knowing all the details, this seems to me like a case where a patent may have been applied for maybe 5 years ago, and has finally been issued. Without the issued patent, Ultra may not have been able to do anything about it until now.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companies always do this to maximize their "winnings", just wait till everyone under the sun is using your product and then if you sue and win you get a crap load of money.

They are under no circumstance the first company to do this...

That was the first one I found the other day. I didn't think that was it. Where is there any mention of modularity? But this is exactly why I wanted to see the patent, because patents are often way too specific, and thus easy to get around.

"...More particularly, one embodiment of the present invention relates to a power supply adapted for installation within a computer case for receiving AC current from an AC current source and providing DC current from the power supply to a component disposed inside of the computer case via a removable cable attached to the power supply..."

That seems to describe the modular cable aspect of a PSU.

If this is in fact the Patent in question, then it was issued towards the end of 2006, so why the wait?

If they own the patent it will hold up, the reason people don't file right away is to "milk" that money. You don't want to sue unless the others are actually making profit off your design, otherwise you won't actually get any return on your investment to patent the thing in the first place.

That being said it is kinda stupid, but alot of patent law is... lol

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of who first did modular power supplies these guys claim they were the first to make a modular power supply. And in the defense of Ultra, yes they have made and still do make some crappy power supplies, but the one in my computer has given me absolutely no problems whatsoever and I have built 5 other systems including a server that is run 24/7 that have had absolutely no problems. On the other hand I have never been very trusting of most modular power supplies anyway since they add another connection and point of failure in the mix. I can't see that you can get as good of a power source with the extra connection in there as you would if the connections were attached straight to the source.

The sad part is they mention a lot of junk PSU manufacturers for the enthusiast. I will buy a raidmax case, but the power supply that comes with it gets yanked out and wires cut off for other wiring. And to think I have bought stuff from performance pc.

I don't think anyone can easily say this is a "get rich quick scheme" and they should have done something sooner. How long have modular PSUs been around 3-5 years? Patents often take anywhere from 3-7 years to actually be issued after the initial application. Between the time that the patent is applied for (publicized) and actually issued, there isn't really much protection for the applicant. Companies can jump in and starting using a design, but once the patent gets issued things like this happen.

Without knowing all the details, this seems to me like a case where a patent may have been applied for maybe 5 years ago, and has finally been issued. Without the issued patent, Ultra may not have been able to do anything about it until now.

isn't that what the "patent / patents pending" statement for?

If they own the patent it will hold up, the reason people don't file right away is to "milk" that money. You don't want to sue unless the others are actually making profit off your design, otherwise you won't actually get any return on your investment to patent the thing in the first place.

That being said it is kinda stupid, but alot of patent law is... lol

This case will be done inside of 3 months...