Building A New Computer.

d3bruts1d

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I sound stupid...I know more than this implies...WHAT THE HECK IS THERMAL PASTE? No, I'm not stupid, but I'm building my first rig that'll break 1Ghz, and I've never used thermal paste on pentium MMX's...maybe that's why they fry(LOL, I'm kidding). Let's put it this way...this is my first ATX that I get to work on. I've built AT's...so...anyone got any last-minute advice?

Thermal paste is a compound that you wipe on the processor where your heat sink connects. It allows for rapid heat transfter out of your CPU into the heat sink... ie - rapid cooling. Usually get a little packet of it with your processor.

Roger L

F15DOC

I know I sound stupid...I know more than this implies...WHAT THE HECK IS THERMAL PASTE?  No, I'm not stupid, but I'm building my first rig that'll break 1Ghz, and I've never used thermal paste on pentium MMX's...maybe that's why they fry(LOL, I'm kidding).  Let's put it this way...this is my first ATX that I get to work on.  I've built AT's...so...anyone got any last-minute advice?

539672[/snapback]

It's actually a compound that fills in the space between your heatsink and CPU die/IHS, which can dramatically increase heat conductivity.

But real men just blow on it alot.

539953[/snapback]

ewwww. REAL men never blow, that's the woman's job! :P;)

• 2 months later...

my only imput that hasent been said (ive only read half of this) but: keep your cool... dont just keep your components cooled but make sure to keep your temper in check... theres always going to be setbacks and things you have to work through..... ive spent sooo many nights angry as crap because something wouldent work... i finaly pass out wake up in the morning calm and get it right in about 5 mins. so if somethings starting to piss you off then just walk away from it for a min or too, have a cold one... relax and come back to it later.....

after that have fun with your system

• 3 weeks later...

ok, for one NEVER neglect thermal compound. ever. go for arctic silver 5 if you can to avoid cpu problems. another thing ive seen newbies do is dont manage their cables. take the extra 2 hours to do a clean job, ive seen pcs with the cables all just hanging in the middle near the cpu heatsink. another thing, make 110% sure you have a good and powerful enough power supply. when installing ., never try to force something in, because its usually the wrong way and it will break. try not to build your rig on carpet since it can build up static and... ZAP GOES TEh MOBO!!1 another tip, use many case fans for improved airflow to keep your parts cool and long lasting. this may not be relevant here, but please for the love of god if you are new to OCing try it on some old rigs, dont risk your new one. as stated before by others, use standoffs for your motherboad. careful with the parts because you may just break a capacitor or someting off. Uber did this with a video card but managed to solder it back because he is 1337. try not to bend any pins on the cpu, i know this sounds stupid, but it happens often with the inexperienced. in thermal compound, always remeber less is better. a very thin even coating that stays only where the heatsink contacts your cpu is good, anything that goes over the sides isnt. once you install thermal compound and place the heatsink over the cpu and secure it, if you take teh heatsink and cpu apart again you are goint to need to whipe the old compound coating off very well with 99% rubbing alcohol and redo the precess because of air bubbles. i ran into some problems with my build because i could not get it to boot, but i then figured out i had the on switch wired wrong to the mobo. before i figured that out i was pretty scared. another thing, dont risk rounding your own IDE cables, either buy rounded ones or leave them. ive seen too many mess ups when cutting the cable and splitting a wire or two. as my final point, smoke or the smell of pcb board burning is BAD and you are screwed. ill write more later if any others come to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Research WELL before you buy.

Make sure you know what your doing, for EVERY step of the process

Don't skimp out on the power supply or the MOBO

Every time you move, touch the metal on the case or a doorknob (especially if you live in a dry climate)

Ask for help if you need it

Have someone that knows what their doing watch over you if its your first time

Make sure your MOBO supports PCI-E if your buying a PCI-E video card

Make sure EVERYTHING is compatible BEFORE you buy

Dont force ANYTHING

Get a good monitor with high refresh rates

Read before you try something your not sure of

Read the manual

Read forums for help

Be VERY careful putting the processor on

• 10 months later...