Sign in to follow this  
d3bruts1d

Building A New Computer.

Do not obstruct airflow

Yup. Fan grills are for people with small children. You should be able to have a grill-less setup if you want one. Since Tornados have built-in grills and any slower fan is unlikely to hurt you, grills are unnecessary imo.

Be ready to dremel-out most of the crap that your case has blocking your fans as well. Airflow is king! and having no obstructions, or a very thin filter as your only obstruction, allows you to build a much QUIETER air-cooled system than if you have to contend with all that crap blocking your fans.

remember, thin layer of thermal paste!!! too much = BAD

This is right on the money. After spending a couple of weekends practicing installing these, I'm now the default "hey man, can you redo my heatsink" guy. It makes a huge difference. Same as the airflow thing.

No. 1 Rule above ALL others!!!!

Mind that temper! ;)

For...

"if we act in haste, we will surely repent in leisure..." :P:lol:

Don't screw the cards in too tight, or use the wrong screw, you don't want to strip the holes.

Don't attempt water cooling on your frist build.

we really really need a guide on how to bul a new copmuter, i doubt many of us here on occ even know how a buled computer looks like anybody got pics of one?

if u do please post them

but if u wan't to build a new computer then here's my 2 cents:

1.never rush-you'll regret it a few hours spent on the web reading can save u days of mizery later

2.if u're buying from a computer store don't trust those bastards all they wan't isa your money they don't wan't to make u happy they just want to rip u off.

3.brute force is not an option. please note that if u take step 1 u won't have to even think of forcing something in.

4.don't be ashamed to ask for help: that's what occ is here for.

This helps in everyday life, working maint. in a warehouse has taught me a few things

If you don't know waht you're doing, learn from other people's mistakes. While the hardway may be the only way, it's always better do a little research.

Stop, breath, think. Sometimes you need to walk away, even if you might lose a little when you stop, you'll gain alot when everything works.

Never give up, or you won't ever learn.

Talk things out, silence is not golden the first few times you do something, talk yourself through it and your chance of NOT making a mistake is better.

Soemtimes the helpless desk can help.

Never trust a monkey.

I wish i had seen this earlier.

all I have to say is read everything. After having my pc running fine for 6 or so months i looked inside to check up on things. First i noticed thier was 0 dust. not any where when my alienware gets covered in dust after just a month of running. but back to the reading everything part. i looked at my Hard drives that were OEM so they didn't have a manual. and on it said use either SATA power or legacy power cables but not both it can damage your HD. and of course i had both a legacy and SATA power on it.

The rule about not forcing anything is true expept when i had to install the heatsink overtop of my amd proccessor. I'm not sure what i can say about that experince but that it sucked bad. really bad. thier is nuthing more scary then trying to force that thing over a 700 dollar litttle square.

Rember cable managment before durring and after building. I have 2 regrets with my first guild. 1) i should have gotten better RAM 2) i have cables everywhere. so i might go back and re wire it.

if it doesnt fit it dont go there

BUY ROUNDED CABLES or buy SATA if not for preformance but jsut for convience

get a case thats decent, cheapo case= bad install problems probably

for good clean looks take out your psu and use some elecrical tape(any color you want) and wrap up your psu wires this does wonders for airflow & makes the case look alot less messy plus it's cheap to do.