[Poll Closed] What Do You Believe?

wevsspot

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most accurately describes your spiritual belief system

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Christian (regardless of denomination including Catholic)
    • Muslim or Islam
    • Hindu
    • Judaism
    • Buddhist
    • Paganism
    • Other

I don't think he intended to offend anyone with that one, he was just making an example.

Although, on that same note, I've definitely heard that uttered, yelled, and screamed during various projects with my dad. :lol: For some reason it makes things hurt less when you shout profanity at the top of your lungs. :D

It actually has been proven to reduce pain levels and/or increase pain thresholds when shouting profanities, just shouting works too, but swearing makes it hurt less :biggrin:

I believe in God, and I am protestant. Sometimes I go to church, sometimes I don't. I believe that religion should make you a better person, willing to do more for someone else just because it is a good thing to do. I don't agree with people that think religion is or should be strict and have rules, etc. I don't hate anyone, and i don't judge people. I think more people (religious or not) should act the same way, regardless of Faith. Those are the rules I live by, and the rules I was taught by my parents and the churches I have gone to.

Nyt, you seem pretty eager to lock this. Why? This thread is probably the most civil thread about religion in the history of the internet.

Nyt, you seem pretty eager to lock this. Why? This thread is probably the most civil thread about religion in the history of the internet.

If I wanted to lock this, I would just lock it since I have authority to... But as you can see, it is still open. Just wanted to remind Wevs since the Poll is closed and thats pretty much the results that Wevs wanted in the first place.

Nyt, I understand your apprehension on these topics and I respect that. The poll is closed, but I'll leave it up to the community to decide the proper time for closing the thread all together. Personally, I've really enjoyed the discussion and it's been the first page I've hit every time I jump in here now. It has really given me some insight into our members and how they feel about a topic as sensitive as the one we are discussing.

I cannot stress enough how impressed I've been with the logical and mature postings that I've read. This thread has blown two urban legends out of the water;

1. People cannot have mature and civil discussions about faith

2. Just because your educated and lean towards the technical geeky side of life doesn't automatically mean that you don't have faith in anything other than humanity or science

For me that was very, very refreshing.

Having authority to do something doesn't mean you should. This is the "off topic" section after all where we can talk about anything non-computer related. As long as it remains civil and follows the forum rules there is no need to lock it at all.

Having authority to do something doesn't mean you should.

But it means I can which is the point I made ;)

This is the "off topic" section after all where we can talk about anything non-computer related. As long as it remains civil and follows the forum rules there is no need to lock it at all.

Within reason...

Any argueing (I saw some post were quickly edited after they were made...) or flaming will result in immediate closure. But until then, feel free to discuss the meaning of life, your purpose your belief and bla bla bla...

Nyt Edit : Please move back to the topic I have made my point already. To all of you, dont flame and you wont see me post in this thread again.

I guess if Nyt is editing posts, then it's time to put this thread to rest. Thanks so much for sharing everyone. It was really enlightening. I appreciate your thoughts.

Wev

Nyt, I'm disappointed...

It was nice while it lasted though, I really enjoyed understanding how other people view things.

Edited by Onion