[Poll Closed] What Do You Believe?

wevsspot

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most accurately describes your spiritual belief system

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Christian (regardless of denomination including Catholic)
    • Muslim or Islam
    • Hindu
    • Judaism
    • Buddhist
    • Paganism
    • Other

If there isn't a god, why are we here?

If there is a god, why are we here?

Why does us being here have more meaning only if there is a god?

Also I don't think we were given knowledge. It's something we all aquire.

This.

I was thinking of how to answer Nyt, but that sums up the way I see it.

You're taking what I said and assuming an awful lot about it. :lol:

The loop of society is what drives society forward. Sure, some people may get "stuck" in a bad job or something but that's not your call to make whether or not their life has meaning.

Well I am sorry for assuming. I just made the connect based on pass arguments that if something is not as you want to see it you call it crazy. Like a BMW beating a Cobalt SS.

I am just messing with you :P

The loop creates nothing. There have been countless successful societies with practically no set structure. Ancient Greece is a perfect example and if the romans had not invaded, they would have developed the steam engine and led the human society as a whole into the industrial revolution a few hundred years in advance.

I promise you. I really really really promise you that conformity is not all it is cracked up to be.

I can't argue with this. :lol:

I have a friend who is crazier than I am. As he puts it we are here are a reminder to all the other aliens on what happens when you F*(*^(*& up a planet. :lol:

I have a friend who is crazier than I am. As he puts it we are here are a reminder to all the other aliens on what happens when you F*(*^(*& up a planet. :lol:

Lmao I like that theory. :lol:

.........................There have been countless successful societies with practically no set structure. Ancient Greece is a perfect example and if the romans had not invaded, they would have developed the steam engine and led the human society as a whole into the industrial revolution a few

The Greeks actually believed in 12 different Gods................ :)

And in a strange twist of fate or pre-ordained act of God the Romans helped birth the modern Christian church. Weird huh.

As I said before, I'm very impressed that this thread has remained civil, mature and most of all thought provoking. I specifically stated things I didn't want to happen in my first post, but certainly wasn't trying to dissuade civil discussion. It's clear that we have a wide range of demographics represented in our forum, and in this thread, and the results of this poll show me that techies like ourselves have a wide range of beliefs. And since the responses are well thought out, intelligible and coming from a group that I consider to be active and avid techies, there doesn't appear to be any brain atrophy from those who identify themselves as believers.

I appreciate everyone sharing. One of the really interesting things;

If you add up all respondents that identified themselves as believers (regardless of religious affiliation) and "others" the number is 37

If you add up all respondents that identified themselves as atheist or agnostic the number is 36

Almost as even as even gets.

Edited by wevsspot

What he said. And dammit Coors, every time I see one of your posts it makes me want a beer. :lol:

I should get paid for subliminal advertising :teehee:

Last time I checked , 3 posts have been edited already :P But thats good since these usually just turn into flame wars within a page of posts.

Might add my 2c as well, voted Christian because thats how I've been brought up and what I believe.

If theres no God, then why are we even here ? To enjoy our meaningless existence ? To ruin a planet like we currently are busy doing ? To create chaos ?

Why were we given knowlege , to debate/discuss like we are busy doing - why not be brainless and be another type of animal ? I think existence is amazing and that God should be thanked for it - not Science which is a tool of God - You dont thank the can of paint (science) for painting your house, you thank the painter (God)

What evidence is there that our life is not meaningless? How does god existing give our life any more meaning?

Our lives are just as meaningless as any other creature on this earth. We live, reproduce and die.

We have brains because they allow us to better survive. Over time, the smarter came out on top. Just look at the animal kingdom. Smarter animals do better. We are no different.

How is science a tool of god? It is entirely created by man. An understanding of the world we inhabit.

Might add my 2c as well, voted Christian because thats how I've been brought up and what I believe.

If theres no God, then why are we even here ? To enjoy our meaningless existence ? To ruin a planet like we currently are busy doing ? To create chaos ?

Why were we given knowlege , to debate/discuss like we are busy doing - why not be brainless and be another type of animal ? I think existence is amazing and that God should be thanked for it - not Science which is a tool of God - You dont thank the can of paint (science) for painting your house, you thank the painter (God)

+1 on all of that!..

edit: @ xPeter......have you ever studied science?...look at the complexity of earth....do you think that just HAPPENED to be made...like by accident....or even Man made?????

or is there someone(God).. up there...with a purpose..

Edited by Il_napoletano

The Greeks actually believed in 12 different Gods................ :)

That was one of the periods. There was another where everyone was practically atheists. Greece has a very......complicated past. They changed like every 100 years because of wars among other issues. It took me forever to understand it all so I understand the confusion.

The other part of it though is that the Olympian gods are not gods like what we have. Gods at that point in time were a replacement for science. It was not for spiritual guidance like it is today. If you have any doubts, google zeus and adultery.

+1 on all of that!..

edit: @ xPeter......have you ever studied science?...look at the complexity of earth....do you think that just HAPPENED to be made...like by accident....or even Man made?????

or is there someone(God).. up there...with a purpose..

when you have billions upon billions of planets, there's bound to be one that supports life as diverse as we see it now