[Poll Closed] What Do You Believe?

wevsspot

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most accurately describes your spiritual belief system

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Christian (regardless of denomination including Catholic)
    • Muslim or Islam
    • Hindu
    • Judaism
    • Buddhist
    • Paganism
    • Other

Here is one for Christianity. If god is as all powerful as everyone says he is, then why is he at war with satan? Why aren't they friends? Could he not just say F YOU SATAN and make him disappear?

That is what I want to know.

have you never studied the Bible or even Religion for than matter?

the answer is quite simple...God nor Jesus make people disappear... or cause bad things to happen...people do that in their own right...

Now follow me... according to religion Jesus is the Son of God correct...?

Now also according to religion Satan or Lucifer as his name is... is ALSO the Son of God and a Brother to Jesus...again according to religion...

So I ask you this... If you have a Son that turns out to be a "Bad Apple" do you smite him? make him disappear... no he was punished and dealt with according to what religion has wrote...some say Ruler of Hell but no where in the Bible does it say that exactly...

Answer your question???

Here is one for Christianity. If god is as all powerful as everyone says he is, then why is he at war with satan? Why aren't they friends? Could he not just say F YOU SATAN and make him disappear?

That is what I want to know.

Tj, the Bible teaches us that Lucifer (Satan) is an angel - and was once one of the most powerful angels in the heavens. He was expelled from heaven because he thought he was greater than God. He was prideful to the point that he led a rebellion against his creator and giver of life. Angels are part of God's "other" creation in the universe and it is widely held that angels - like their creator - are immortal. And to further Docs explanation, Satan was a creation of God, and a loving God would not snuff his creation out of existence because of a single sin - no matter how grave the sin.

The concept of Satan and Jesus being brothers is a hard one for many people to wrap their minds around. Their kinship is only a result of the fact that both were created by God and that their creation predated that of mankind. I personally believe that Jesus Christ was the first born of the spirit in God's creation and that all else came afterwards. I also personally believe that Satan held a grudge because of that, that Satan has always been the enemy of mankind because of God's special love for a mortal and physical creation ordained with free will. Plainly explained - Satan was jealous and too proud to admit that God's plan was the only plan. And, who is anyone to argue with God?

If you have any religious beliefs, any at all regardless of type, you believe that there is good and evil. You believe that mankind has a soul (energy or supernatural consciousness) that will continue to exist after your mortal body expires. And accordingly, there has to be a place for the "good" souls and a place for the "bad" souls. Hence heaven and hell.

Really, can anyone here imagine what any society would be like today if there weren't some guiding principles explaining the difference between right and wrong, laying down some accountability and doling out punishment for wrong doing. Does anyone really believe that we would have evolved into a civil species sans any spiritual guidance? IMHO it would be exactly the opposite. What would society be like if through all the millenia there wasn't anything that told us that stealing, killing, coveting or committing adultery was wrong. Are you confident that we would have evolved out of that primeval state without any other intervention?

You seem like a well studied young fellow, so while you're pouring through the volumes of written knowledge available out there, take some time to educate yourself on religion. A good place to start would be a book titled "The Religions of Man" written by Huston Smith. It gives a great explanation of the worlds major religions from the perspective of a non-Christian (or if he ever were he would have fallen into the very non-traditional Christian category).

Edited by wevsspot

Ok now that we are on the 9th page for me... and have had some good Mature conversation... lets take a look at some of the things that people have done to poke fun at religion in today's times...

this is something that was written in 2000 and been around the net many times... it is on Snopes as well for a fallacy meaning the letter was never actually written and posted where it was said.

I like it because it puts todays perspective on a "yesterdays" version... meaning, to me. if we lived our lives in 100% accordance to the bible we'd all be put to death or in jail...

Its just something for fun that makes me giggle and is intended for FUN and not to start a debate... I think it was intended as a response to homosexuality in a state thats allowed it at that particular time...for those that believe in God and are actively Gay thinking they will get into heaven...where scripture does openly cover the issue...but this is still fun to read... enjoy

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?

October 2002

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,

Jim

Note to Stumblers:

Some comments criticizing this piece indicate that it was "hijacked" from a West Wing episode. This is a chicken and egg argument in my opinion. I don't really know which came first, and frankly don't care.

What do I gain by sharing my faith with you? It doesn't get me to heaven. I'm not on a commission...

I had a roomate in the Navy where he got commission for every person he brought to be baptised for his church. He was given money, plane tickets home, etc. I heard him talk about aiming to get a car once he brought in enough people to get baptised. Just saying, some people are on commission, and they're trying to sell religion. Religions make a lot of money off of tithes.

Fogel said it the best... "Organized Religion" for profit LOL

so they had to pay to be Baptized...how did that all work? I mean whats the purpose? how does the Church make money off Baptism?

Fogel said it the best... "Organized Religion" for profit LOL

so they had to pay to be Baptized...how did that all work? I mean whats the purpose? how does the Church make money off Baptism?

From my take, it's based off guilt. The church organizes softball games and bbq, and you participate, but don't donate to the church? Jesus sacrificed his life, etc.

Mormons take a more direct approach. They need to donate something like 30% of their salary to stay in the church. If they don't, they can be excommunicated.

yea that goes back to the saying in the Bible that you need to "tithe" (meaning 1/10th) 10% to the churches... the way our financial system is set up with dont "Tithe" so that doesnt really apply...

church has come along way out of context for alot of things.. I dont ever go to churches where you have to donate or dress a certain way to be included into the church...

Jesus never said to others follow me and i will show you unto the light but first you must stop off at men's warehouse and get a suit or some ladies boutique for a dress...or I wont grant the path to heaven unless you give me part of your earnings...

churches that allow this arent really after the bibles best interest but only their own agenda....

part of the reason I dont go to church... other part is you do not have to...