Miata!

BluePanda

Why lean it out though? Does it run too rich from factory? I feel that both leaning it out and retarding timing in efforts to reduce pinging would be like reducing clock speed and increasing voltage to reduce CPU temp

It runs SUPER rich from the factory. It won't lean out much (5% because of the crystal I'm using). The timing retard is very slight as well (5% of the base timing value from the timing map) so it really doesn't do much. The extra few hundred RPM are really why I'm doing it - I don't want to be banging off the rev limiter in first mid-turn at an autocross. :cheers:

The pinging is only a concern because the base timing is already at 16 degrees. When it's super-rich, that's fine without pinging. Bringing it closer to ideal concerns me a little bit but the cold air intake should help with that as well.

Also - the red paint I used (Duplicolor Automotive Paint) is absolute CRAP. I screwed up one of the stripes today after some painters tape was on it for literally 10 minutes. I'll probably be stripping off the red stripes and going with my tried and trusted Rustoleum Professional gloss black to redo the stripes. :pfp:

16 degrees doesn't sound like a lot, the 240sx runs 20° base idle but it must be because of the difference in bore sizes.

When's the next scheduled autocross?

They haven't scheduled another one yet. The last one got rained out. It's a lot of fun though, I plan on racing the tiger haha and then some fun laps in the miata. :D

YOU HAVE TO COME. Then we can do our beer review too. :D

Also: http://www.clemsonscc.org/ to watch for dates...

You can always drive the tiger too if you are too scared to drive your one wheel peel machine. hahaha :lol:

16 degrees doesn't sound like a lot, the 240sx runs 20° base idle but it must be because of the difference in bore sizes.

When's the next scheduled autocross?

Engine timing is mostly dictated by quench distance(distance between piston @ TDC and cylinder head deck) , compression ratio, and cylinder head efficiency. "A lot" is relative...most SBCs run their base timing in the 30s :).

Actually now that I think of it my ECU mod will push the timing map up a bit at higher RPM (since it's stretching the map to fit the new idle -> redline). There are people that run at 10% overclocked without any craziness so I think 5% should be pretty safe.

Pretty safe.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep telling myself that. :lol:

THE CAR ACTUALLY HAS AN INTERIOR NOW!

Amanda and I put all the interior back in after I finally got the holes in the floorpan finished. :P I reconditioned all of the interior pieces (minus the carpet), with only a slight bit more love they will look brand new. :D

I'll hopefully be getting the muffler in today (and with more luck get it installed) just in time for our trip to Atlanta for the Red Bull Soapbox races. Yes, the first long trip in the car is going to be a top down, 75 MPH+, trip down I-85 on a Friday. :woo:

If I find some time I'll build the cold air intake this morning as well. :teehee:

Pictures...probably Sunday. rallyecar.gif

You can always drive the tiger too if you are too scared to drive your one wheel peel machine. hahaha :lol:

Haha. It's only a 1-wheel-peel machine if I let it be. I like the control I get with an open diff. If anything the stock/blown suspension is what would make my car sad on the track, luls.

Building a cold air intake, eh? DO IT WITH PVC, GHETTO MOD OF THE YEAR! Lol, looking forward to seeing the interior.

I'm doing it with acrylic and shop-vac hose. :lol:

It'll be ghetto...but I don't care in the slightest. If I cared what people thought of the car I wouldn't be driving a Miata. :lol:

The muffler got in today. They sent the wrong one...it has a 4.5" tip. :lol: The rest of it is quite nice though - all stainless with good welds. It's surprisingly light too - good 10 pounds off stock at least.

The shop I go to offered to cut it off and do another tip for free when i went to talk to them about it. $30 later I have a new muffler. :)

Thankfully it's really quite quiet when cruising...but when it swings past 5K RPM it screams. Awesome. :D

Also - does it make me a ricer if I love the sound it makes at 7k? :P

You should resell that exhaust to a civic. Hopefully it's big enough. :lol:

I shift mine at 5500, and yours starts to scream at 5000 lol that's going to take some getting used to if I get a Miata.

Good sounds at 7k? Is that redline?

Edited by Onion