Miata!

BluePanda

I don't mean to ask such a personal question, but how much has that car cost you so far? I really like what you have done so far and it has kind of spurred my own interest into getting a car of my own and fixing it up, and I am wondering how much money I would truly need for such an ordeal?

The car itself I bought for $2k. It didn't really *need* anything I've done to it. I've got about $1400 in parts in it, but a large majority of that is in the roll bar, strut brace, seats, and exhaust.

If you didn't want to do the performance upgrades (exhaust, roll bar, etc) you could get by with a couple hundred bucks to "freshen" up the car. Mechanically it was essentially fine when I bought it, I just wanted a project. :P I guess you could count the tires if you want too, since they weren't really a required upgrade. They were $300 installed.

So yeah - about $3400 total ($3700 w/ tires). That's less than I was actually considering using as a down payment when shopping for cars, and it's fully paid off, which is nice.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while (been busy with other stuff) but I finally fixed the stupid stripes. The red Duplicolor car paint sucked so bad we literally ripped 99% of it off the car with packing tape. :mellow:

So here's a terrible camera-phone shot of what it looks like now:

post-8484-0-45212400-1345518429_thumb.jpg

The stereo is done now too:

CDT 6.5" woofers in the doors

JBL 1" tweeters in the sails

10" Pioneer dual 2 ohm subwoofer in .95 cubic feet between the seats

Cadence TXA3004 Amplifier

1 Farad cap

My b-day present from my brother and mom was a Kenwood KDC-252U receiver that can play MP3 and WMA files off of thumb drives...no more skipping due to the insane suspension on the car! :teehee:

It. Sounds. AWESOME...for a convertible.

In the next few weeks I'll probably get the springs and shocks ordered so it'll actually have "real" suspension on it instead of stock. The air box is back on as well...the open filter just pulled too much heat right off of the header and there isn't enough clearance to build a cold-air box with the shock tower brace installed. I'll fab something up to suck in cool air. :lol:

So yeah. Bump. :lol: