7970 Reviews

Bosco

if it were 450-500, i would get 2-3, but at 550+ im goin wait as long as i can (probably late jan) before getting new gpus

By the time the end of January rolls around, the 7970 will have only been out for a few weeks. Just because it is being reviewed now does not mean it is already available.

It overclocks well..

+1, that's probably the only nice thing, that it can stay at over 1Ghz 24/7. I could care less, my 580 @ 1Ghz probably meets toe to toe with that HD7970 so I'll wait out a bit longer too.

Crossfire performance! :D:wub:

My link

For $1100 it damn well had better perform.

On a side note I love how they show the way the game looks on their setup but they make sure you see the screenshot, not the actual appearance with the bevels in the way. The screen shot is how the game is rendered, NOT how it looks. I also have to wonder at how good a review this was when one of the major selling points of the 7900 series is the power down when not in use. I would have thought with two cards they would show this feature in use.

Edited by ComputerEd

+1, that's probably the only nice thing, that it can stay at over 1Ghz 24/7. I could care less, my 580 @ 1Ghz probably meets toe to toe with that HD7970 so I'll wait out a bit longer too.

-1, OCing is def not the only nice thing about the 7970 :P How about power consumption and temps just to state the obvious! I know your 3GB 580 is a beast, but to go toe-to-toe when both cards are OCed is prob a stretch.

Love the card, not real turned on about the pricing!

I understand why some find it lame. 40nm -> 28nm and it only barely(~20% on average if even) beats a GTX 580(1 year old, 40nm). I will wait for Nvidia. I find the card is good, but its performance is kinda subpar when you think of the 40 vs 28nm. Also the cost and power usage is still pretty high.

for it being on first round of drivers id say its pretty good ive got my funds ready

its seems to me that no matter what amd does some people will never be satisfied

i myself think the new 7970 is pretty dam good gtx 580 is $499 to start with and $600 for the 3 gig and probably not increase that much with driver updates

the 7970 is just starting and it walks all over the 580 for around the same price

Edited by jdm_freek