7970 Reviews

Bosco

Well considering we have had 8 drivers in less then 4 weeks I am not holding my breath on drivers.

I dunno why they cleaned house in the driver dept but man they really need the old crew back in there. Makes me thing there is only one guy in there to be honest. They update a driver it breaks something else that was already working. Something is still not right with the card, performance is why off of where it should be. It almost looks like its throttling itself or something..... but this is a paper launch and not the actual card, come Jan 9th we shall see if there is any difference with the real cards.

i was thinking of upgrading but this seems average at best. I wish retailers still sold my vapor-x 5870 so I could get crossfire for a decent price. That card imo was pretty good. Overall though nVidia seems like they are going to come out ahead. Although I'm not a big nvidia fan for some reason, that might be what I'll be leaning towards for my next upgrade.

wait for drivers to mature and we'll probably see a 25% improvement in performance in a couple months.

I agree. I think the drivers have a lot of room to grow. However, even if the drivers improve the performance substantially, it is going to be hard for AMD to shake the first impressions of the card, which are that is is good, but not necessarily a huge leap from the previous generation.

this card rules, to bad for the price. does any of you think the 7850 will beat the 6850? hope it will

The 7850 will definitely beat the 6850, like the 7970 beats the 6970. However, no one will know to what extent until the cards are launched.

Is anyone else impressed with the power consumption on this thing? Outperforming the 580, but using a not-insignificant amount less power.

Did you also see the equally impressive feat when using 2D clocks and crossfire.....

Because the other card/s completely shut down.

Did you also see the equally impressive feat when using 2D clocks and crossfire.....

Because the other card/s completely shut down.

I was talking from a purely "under load" standpoint, but yes. I hope the new GTX series does something similar for those of us who fear the power bill every month :P

My big wait and see is where the next layer of cards come in. Will for example the 7950 show the same level of gain? Will the 7800 series?

Considering that AMD has been touting their move to more mainstream and then looking back at the 6000 launch being mainstream in focus with the 6800 series done first I think this launch is a pure attention grab more than anything. I mean why push for a pre-Christmas launch of a product that will not hit shelves around CES?

As for the card itself it looks like it is a decent high end card with some interesting features.

Edited by ComputerEd