OCC Group Gaming

Guest_Jim_*

45 members have voted

1. 1. In Game voice Communication preference

• Steam
    • Ventrilo
    • xFire
    • Other

CheeseMan42 I added you on steam today. I finally had a chance to sit down and play Killing Floor for a few hours, but of course, no one was on. I like the game a lot. That Doom level is my fav so far because it's pretty small and easy haha. Ill send you a message next time I get on.

I only get on consistently Wednesday and Friday-Sunday. The other days I get home too late from work to do much of anything. And lately I have been bringing work home with me, leaving even less time.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as voice goes, there is usually too much . going on here for me to bother using a mic.

Plus I'm totally self conscious about my voice despite being able to chat with people.

/nerd

The topic of voice communication was brought up in the League of Legends thread, so I figured I'd bring it up here. While many multiplayer games do support voice chat another option, which has its own advantages and drawbacks, is to use something like Skype for voice chat. This is actually how I first learned to play League of Legends, by being in a game with some friends and getting tips over Skype.

The advantages to Skype are that it is a dedicated voice communication system, so it shouldn't have as many bugs as some games (I've seen in Borderlands it decide to transmit voice, even when told not to, for example) and allows for communication pregame, post-game, and between games, if the game is switched but party isn't. You can add also that people could join in the conversion without being in the immediate game, but perhaps the next.

If other people like the idea of voice communication and/or using Skype for it, I can either post my Skype name or, more likely, make a "Guest_Jim_* at OCC" account specifically for this.

You could just use the Steam voice system and start a group chat.

As far as voice goes, there is usually too much . going on here for me to bother using a mic.

Plus I'm totally self conscious about my voice despite being able to chat with people.

/nerd

I'll bet I've got it worse than you though. I have a speech impediment, and while I think I've mostly developed out of that, there is still an impact. I don't hear it (usually) but about half the people I interact with will say I have a British accent and the other half just don't say anything. That silent half though break down to either hearing the accent and not saying anything while the others just don't hear it. The funniest part is that it's not a British accent. As one guy put it, "It doesn't sound British to me. I know some British people and can't understand a word they say! I thought it was German?"

So I am British, Australian, South African, German, and I may be forgetting one... oh yeah, American.

I've never left the country by the way.

You could just use the Steam voice system and start a group chat.

Why would we make it that easy? :lol: That doesn't help much with League of Legends though. However, in Source games, that audio is then recorded, as you may be aware of CowKing. I still have those Alien Swarm speedrun recordings.

Why would we make it that easy? :lol: That doesn't help much with League of Legends though.

No, Steam has it's own voice chat system which can run in the background or you can bring it up in through the overlay. The quality is pretty good.

No, Steam has it's own voice chat system which can run in the background or you can bring it up in through the overlay. The quality is pretty good.

And then you have to deal with things coming in through Steam and LoL. Just yesterday I was being contacted through LoL to play a game while trying to set one up in Steam.

It really doesn't matter, I know. I've never actually used the Steam voice chat though, but I assume if what is in Alien Swarm works then that works too.

Still, that's something that only needs to be worried about if we choose to use it. I'm fine either way, voice or no voice, and with whatever system, so long as it works.

I am down for playing just about anything with anybody at any time :)

As far as voice chat I have a 25 dollar credit for gameservers.com and could fire up a 25-35 slot ventrilo for 6 months to try out. If it works and people like it we could keep it going. Not gonna cost me anything for the 6 months though. :)

Edited by Bubbaxm2

Use steam's voice chat in steam games and something else in the other's. Weekends would probably be best for me and as far as games go I've got Grid, Dirt 2, Sins of a solar empire, Alien swarm as well as Bad company 2 and team fortress 2, both of which I haven't played yet.

Alien swarm and TF2 are the only steam games though.

I've been playing l4d and l4d2 and using Steam for years now and did not know there was a OCC Steam group till now... well have not been a OCC member for long but I join the Steam group. Thanks for the link to it.