In the market for a new car

Nodgiles

I've got some pics of it on photobucket before I painted it. But i'm at work atm and photobucket is blocked so I can't link them atm. I bought it from a guy that had it painted with red/pink color changing paint D:

I had to get rid of that . and now it's like a grey/gunmetalish color. I'd take some pics of it this weekend if my camera wasn't broke :(

And as far as getting a Chevy with a 350...well I don't like having what 50 other people have. You always see Novas, Camaros, Chevelles, etc. Not too often you see a Jag rumbling around. Plus it handles like a dream compared to any old Chevy.

It still needs some work though. The interior is in bad shape, I want to get new tires/wheels for it, the hood latches don't hold very well, they'll pop up after awhile if you hit too many bumps or going down a rough road. I'll probably go with some hood pins to fix that. And when I get around to it i'm going to pull my other 350 from my monte carlo and stroke it out and fix it up real nice and drop that in. Oh and swap out to some 3.73's....I think it has 2.88's atm.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as far as getting a Chevy with a 350...well I don't like having what 50 other people have. You always see Novas, Camaros, Chevelles, etc. Not too often you see a Jag rumbling around.

I'd buy that if I hadn't already seen fifty hillbillies with XJ6/XJSs swapped over. :P

To make it truly original it needs an LS3 and a six-speed. :D

I'd buy that if I hadn't already seen fifty hillbillies with XJ6/XJSs swapped over. :P

To make it truly original it needs an LS3 and a six-speed. :D

Not here. I've only ever seen 1 other Jag with the conversion around north and central cali. Converted Jags are not even close to as common as novas, camaros, etc.

German cars are far more reliable than their American built counter-parts.

I would agree with you in most cases but as of late VW has had terrible reliability ratings. JD power has an estimated rating on the 2010 GTI of 5.0 out of 10 stars....

I would agree with you in most cases but as of late VW has had terrible reliability ratings. JD power has an estimated rating on the 2010 GTI of 5.0 out of 10 stars....

Where are the US VAG cars built? Because over here, they are far better than that, albeit not perfect.

Take some ratings with a pinch of salt - especially on such a new model. (and I don't even like VW cars much)

o.O the Audia A3 looks nice. Anyone have any experience with this car?
Yea I do, drove one before I bought my BMW 118d. I adore the 2.0TDI Sportsback, however it was another 2-3 grand more than the BMW...
Get a used 2004 BMW M3...you'll be happy you did B:)
Word!
Not dead set on new in anyway. I really like the diesel jetta... Ill have to go sit in one.
Im going to go sit in the VW GTI today at lunch. I really like the look of the car, just a bit worried about reliability....
Looks like you're going in the right direction here, the Golf is an excellent car! I'd opt for a 2.0TDI engine, the 1.9 or the 1.6 they replaced it with now are great engines too, but it's a bit powerless... the 1.9 also has a terrible Turbo-Lag IMO!

Reliability really is no problem at all, let me give you an example: http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/104416.html. The car on that link is actually a Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI, which is basically a VW Polo. Skoda also belongs to the VW group, so it's the exact same engine, over 700.000km with an average of 74.81MPG! I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat, the VW diesel engines are excellent in terms of reliability.

It really is too bad that you guys in the US can't buy the BMW diesels... they make the best 4 cylinder Diesels in the world ATM. Smooth power delivery, almost no turbo lag, and the 123d is just amazing at 204HP from a two-litre Diesel! You could however go buy a BMW 128i, it starts at under 30k and gets 28MPG highway. You should be able to snipe a used one with decent spec for under 30k easy :)

I would take that with a grain of salt really. Sure GTIs did have their share of reliability back with the MKIV in the 2000-2002 model years. From what I've seen... personal experience and from what I've heard they only fizzeled out to possible electrical problems in any number of electronic systems it uses and coil pack problems. That never discouraged me from my 01' GTI VR6 though still love it even though it needs a new coil pack and the previous owner sorted out the electrical issues it did have. What I can say though is I haven't heard of any reliability issues as of yet besides the JD power rating. Heh looks like its being rated by the previous model year also. Both initial quality and performance and design are based on last years model.

If you want to read over any issues people have had this looks like a good forum post: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440

Just reading the first page it seems the only big issue is actually getting your hands on one.

I was dead set on the 2010 civic hybrid, went to the dealership, sat in the drivers seat and the deal was off. Im 6'3 and the leg room just wasnt there.

So its back to the drawing board. If I cant get something with awesome gas millage Id prefer something more sporty. Im looking to spend around 30k....

If it was you, what would you get, new or used. I need some ideas friends! Thanks!

Well if was me with 30k i would get a

mitsubishi_lancer_fq360_3.jpg

Not the best pic,O just incase its a evo 8 Fq400

Ticks all the boxes

4 doors+boot (trunk) keeps the wife happy.

4 wheel drive.So its safe

O and upto 400BHP std.

So keeps you happy.

Edited by Danny_75