In the market for a new car

Nodgiles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to the 6 it is :) That's what it's all about these days!

compared the hummer 1, the hummer 2 is light :rolleyes:.

But yeah I guess the Mazda3 is about the same weight as the other "small" modern sport "compact"s. I enjoy driving a true lightweight car

compared the hummer 1, the hummer 2 is light :rolleyes:.

But yeah I guess the Mazda3 is about the same weight as the other "small" modern sport "compact"s. I enjoy driving a true lightweight car

A true lightweight sadly doesn't seem to exist in the modern market. Light car means that it's got less metal. Less metal means (generally) less safety. And people don't seem to like that too much.

The MKII Focus puts on nearly 200kg from my MKI SVT. Crazy.

(my 2nd suggestion)

but the latest Fiesta actually looses weight and gains a bit of power. interestingly the hubub is the turbo version WILL be along shortly. its the most requested option on the fiesta site and the world rally championship is going to turbo'd 1600cc engines...(1.6 is what the car has) and the Fiesta is already going to be used by a Factory Ford effort. so it looks like one is on the way for sho'.

but we have to wait.

so the point is....either super efficient or alot of fun and somewhat inefficient. i think i understand.

or...split the difference....get a cheap and efficient used car and keep in the garage all polished up when you need it. something really fun...example.

spend $10k on a 2005 corolla and get just under 40mpg. and spend another $30k on a lightly used 2000 rt/10 Viper.....gets 13mpg but tha'ts offset by a combined mpg total between the two cars over a year to be over 20mpg. end of story! ....and you just spent the cost of a REALLY nice and new hybrid car all loaded up.

Edited by robAP

(my 2nd suggestion)

but the latest Fiesta actually looses weight and gains a bit of power. interestingly the hubub is the turbo version WILL be along shortly. its the most requested option on the fiesta site and the world rally championship is going to turbo'd 1600cc engines...(1.6 is what the car has) and the Fiesta is already going to be used by a Factory Ford effort. so it looks like one is on the way for sho'.

but we have to wait.

so the point is....either super efficient or alot of fun and somewhat inefficient. i think i understand.

or...split the difference....get a cheap and efficient used car and keep in the garage all polished up when you need it. something really fun...example.

spend $10k on a 2005 corolla and get just under 40mpg. and spend another $30k on a lightly used 2000 rt/10 Viper.....gets 13mpg but tha'ts offset by a combined mpg total between the two cars over a year to be over 20mpg. end of story! ....and you just spent the cost of a REALLY nice and new hybrid car all loaded up.

The Fiesta will be receiving the Ford 1.6 EcoBoost engines for the US market sooner rather than later I think.

Will you get the 1.6 TDCi as well? That little engine has a lot of torque and returns insane mpg!

In VW's case they should have had the VR6 NA and VR6 turbo.

That would have been cool but.... yeah they pretty much abandoned having a V6 in anything but their SUV and van. Everything in all their other platforms is either 2.0 or a 2.0T. Audi runs a greater amount of options in engines still.... I just wonder why they limited the options in the Volkswagen brand.

The Fiesta will be receiving the Ford 1.6 EcoBoost engines for the US market sooner rather than later I think.

Will you get the 1.6 TDCi as well? That little engine has a lot of torque and returns insane mpg!

American makers have a serious aversion to using any sort of small diesel engine. Their incorrect consensus is that the public thinks it's dirty, noisy, and hard to find diesel gas unless you live on an interstate. all of which is totally false these days. proven by VW. I doubt we will get the 1.6TDCi magical engine from Ford nor any other American manufacturer until Mahindra hits their home run with the common rail turbo diesel truck. 30mpg+ in a truck the same size as the Tacoma/Hilux. Once that happens then they will see the desire for us to run a Diesel small car. I'm sure the Oil companies here have something to do with it, besides the fact that our Fuel refinery process is 80% gas/20% diesel and over there its 50/50 for your refineries, so Diesel costs the same per gallon for you but more over here. Also you get taxed much different than we do so the motivation is not there at all. not yet.....

American makers have a serious aversion to using any sort of small diesel engine. Their incorrect consensus is that the public thinks it's dirty, noisy, and hard to find diesel gas unless you live on an interstate. all of which is totally false these days. proven by VW. I doubt we will get the 1.6TDCi magical engine from Ford nor any other American manufacturer until Mahindra hits their home run with the common rail turbo diesel truck. 30mpg+ in a truck the same size as the Tacoma/Hilux. Once that happens then they will see the desire for us to run a Diesel small car. I'm sure the Oil companies here have something to do with it, besides the fact that our Fuel refinery process is 80% gas/20% diesel and over there its 50/50 for your refineries, so Diesel costs the same per gallon for you but more over here. Also you get taxed much different than we do so the motivation is not there at all. not yet.....

We actually pay more for diesel. The Government knows that it gets more mpg, so shafts us for it. Disgraceful, isn't it, that we pay sometimes as much as

Diesel prices in the US fluctuate with the seasons. In the winter when heating oil is in demand, diesel prices jump up. But remember back to 2007 and 2006 when diesel was sometimes $0.50+ cents cheaper per gallon that gasoline? Due to the lack of capacity for refineries to adjust diesel output, I think diesel prices in the states are more elastic to changes in demand, but it isn't more expensive to produce. The US government also taxes diesel fuel more than gasoline.

That would have been cool but.... yeah they pretty much abandoned having a V6 in anything but their SUV and van. Everything in all their other platforms is either 2.0 or a 2.0T. Audi runs a greater amount of options in engines still.... I just wonder why they limited the options in the Volkswagen brand.

Very simple, they want to position Audi higher than VW. Unless you get the R36, you don't even get a V6 or V6 Diesel in the Passat anymore... Marketing I guess...

Really it is quite stupid that the little Diesel hasn't cought on in the US... I'd love it to be sitting at the red lights with a BMW 123d and smoke a Mustang off the line!

Edited by kingdingeling