How BIG is your music collection!

MJCRO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just over 1200 actual items (CD's and LP's) and converted some of that to digital which is currently just over 400GB (mostly FLAC) - I don't download anything, bit of a purist when it comes to music :blush:

Opeth's epically long songs are FTW!

Opeth ..... nice :D

Wabawaba, SAY WHAT?!? :blink:

Let me see a screenshot, please please Bosco! :thumbs-up:

That's just nuts! :blink:

I got a bunch of crap I think I have a lot of duplicate stuff I just need to compile everything and go through it all and figure out whats what.

B:) As of right now, 524gb full of music 72, 433 files in 219 folders on my 1TB drive. My 1tb external is an exact match to this one as I update it weekly. I have appx 1500 original cd's packed away, which most are ripped into the PC. I also used to DJ for 6 years at a bar/club and still have the duplicates of everything we used there just in case the original cd's got scratched or the hard drive on the system crapped out. I'm a music hoard :D The only things I could call duplicates are various MP3's that may have appeared on more than 1 release or were also included on a compilation somewhere. Other than that, there's no duplicate full CD's.

I also have many music videos that were converted from my old VHS tapes from me recording Dial MTV and Headbangers Ball on MTV back in the day as well as trading other people from around the world for videos they had for some I had. There are over 2000 music videos in the Rock Videos folder along with the Various Music Videos folder containing videos I didn't consider hard rock such as Eagles, Weird Al, Dire Straits, Kylie Minogue, etc...

On my hard drive, the A-Z folders are all my Hard Rock and Metal stuff and anything else is seperated into the Country, Dance, Oldies, Childrens, Comedians, Comedy, Christmas and Misc Music such as Abba, Eagles, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, etc... A good majority of these are 192k or higher. There still are some that are 128k because back when I first got a computer, a 40-60gb hard drive wasn't enough space for me, so I ripped CD's smaller so I could fit more. Out of stupidity, when I sold CD's off on ebay over the years, I didn't re-rip them again at a higher bitrate before they went out the door :rolleyes: But, I've learned my lesson and hard drive are much bigger and cheaper now, so many have been redone at 192k and higher.

I'm pretty anal about keeping my stuff catagorized and titled correctly in a specific format.

For complete CD's: Artist - Album title - Track number - Track Title

For individual tracks: Artist - Track Title

For Official Compilations such as "Billboards Best Of 1975", "Monster Ballads", etc...: Various Artists - Album Title - Track Number - Track Title (with Performing Artist in parenthesis)

I don't use a program (iTunes, Media Monkey) to keep these inventoried either because that would require too much effort on my part ;) I just keep MP3's in folders and when I want to listen to anything, I go find it, click on it and it opens in WinAmp and I add tracks as I want to hear them.

I also REFUSE to ever put an original CD of any kind in my vehicle. Anything I have that's an original CD gets ripped into the PC and a direct CDR copy which goes into the car and truck, or I'll make an MP3 CD with 100+ tracks on it since my vehicle decks play MP3's. I have many CD's that are Indie releases, promo's or very limited copies pressed and some are very rare and expensive to replace. So, the possibility of some turd with sticky fingers breaking into my car and stealing my CD's makes me think them stealing CDR's is better for my CD collections sake. Not to mention them stating in good shape with few scratches keep their value high. Like I said, I'm anal when it comes to my music!!!

musicdrive.jpg

This was one of 2 CD racks I had. At one time there were around 3200 CD's but I sold off about 1500+ over the last 2-3 years. The other rack was on the other side of the stereo which you can see on the right side in the pic. They were all alphabetized and any band I had more than one CD of, those were in order by year released.

mycdrack.jpg

Edited by Rokkaholik

^ Nice collection..... I'm a but anal too, I have a Excel Spreadsheet with everything listed and the cataloguing on my CD racks matches the order of my titles in the spreadsheet. Got very hard to find CD's when they went over 500-600. I plan to rip the entire collection to FLAC, but just don't seem to have time to get round to it!

My music buddy has a collection of 3,500 CD's!!!! I don't expect to catch him up ever. When I am not messing around with PC's, I listen to music and go to gigs.