To iPhone or not to iPhone?

ClayMeow

Because outta the box it isn't the greatest phone but if you goto a site called PPCGeeks, you can make it into a REALLY great phone.

If you really want to be in touch with your hardware and like tweaking things, get the Touch Pro. If just want a phone that's easier to use, then by all means grab the Iphone. I like getting mediocre products and making them succeed higher priced or "better" products. Ironically my phone still has a better camera than the Iphone 3GS has....

I agree Windows Mobile is so underrated, it just takes some tweaking here and there. Get the right custom 6.5 ROM and it's great.

I know, I'm a computer guy, and I should want to tinker around with the latest gizmo, but in all honesty, I don't know how keen I am on having to do a lot of tweaks just to get a phone to act as I want. That to me is the biggest reason why I'm leaning toward an iPhone or BB.

As you know, Farrah and I love our iPhones. I had the 1st gen and upgraded to the 3GS while Farrah has the 3G. My experience with AT&T is that they are either great or horrible.. usually no middle ground. If Verizon were to get the iPhone next week, I'd drop AT&T in a flash and pay the early termination fees. It's strange though, because when it was Cingular I had no complaints what-so-ever.

Of course, I cannot speak for AT&T service in the NY area. Though AT&T service has pretty much been the same from Memphis to Myrtle Beach for me. This may be helpful: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09...new_jersey.html

AT&T does offer free WiFi to iPhone users at Starbucks, some McDonalds, and Barns & Noble, and a few other places which can make up for the crappy service. This is something that I make use of frequently, which I supose helps offset the large fees for text + data.

Keep in mind, AT&T currently does not offer tethering or MMS on the iPhone, even though the feature works on just about every other iPhone carrier. This is just another one of those examples, of how AT&T service can blow at times. It is supose to be coming "this summer" and we are quickly approaching the end of that.

The number of bars us a useless indicator. There is no standard for what it represents, varies from carrier to carrier and phone to phone.

Thanks for the article. That definitely makes me feel a little better about an iPhone...at least there's a semblance of AT&T caring about performance :lol:.

Though tethering would probably be nice, I'll be getting a Verizon Aircard for my laptop anyway. MMS isn't a dealbreaker for me either as I never send MMS messages and think I've received maybe two over the past year from friends. Having access to email (when I don't currently) should make up for that.

And as for the bars being a useless indicator, well that's why I had that in quotes. I just meant that the signals/clarity tends to be better on Verizon from what I hear of people that have used both, and I hear that the iPhone's reception is worse than other AT&T phones :shrug:

That's why I love Sprint so much, our 3G is comparable to Wifi, I turn wifi on my phone sometimes and get the same speed as my phone's 3G so I just stick with the 3G :lol:

I want to see how nice an Iphone would be on Sprint, I just would never drop Sprint for the Iphone (especially since I'm so happy with my Touch Pro)

That'd be because barely anyone uses Sprint, so you're not fighting anyone for bandwidth ;):lol:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the best bet would be, to get hold of a Pay-As-You go SIM for AT&T. Stick it in your current phone (if its unlocked) or grab a cheap phone, and see what kinda signal you get, and what call quality etc is like.

Over here, you can get a Pre-Pay SIM for

I know, I'm a computer guy, and I should want to tinker around with the latest gizmo, but in all honesty, I don't know how keen I am on having to do a lot of tweaks just to get a phone to act as I want. That to me is the biggest reason why I'm leaning toward an iPhone or BB.

That'd be because barely anyone uses Sprint, so you're not fighting anyone for bandwidth ;):lol:

I love tinkering, and the beauty of it is, you actually DO get to have the phone act as you want, not how anyone else wants. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly the Windows Mobile Android port is going quite well haha. (Though the phone features don't work with CDMA phones, only GSM Phones like Verizon and others like that).

It doesn't matter to me whether Sprint has alotta customers or not, what matters is sitting down next to an Iphone/BB user and smoking his/her browser's speed with mine :D.

(P.S. I can tether)

But it's your choice, I just see no limitation with my phone.

I even undervolted my phone's processor to save battery life, that's freakin sweet, this thing is seriously like a mini computer. If they can get down the whole codec problem with not being able to run any type of video format, then I'd stop carrying my laptop around with me.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I absolutely hate Sprint. I will NEVER do any type of business with them. I dropped my Nextel phone (which was the best service I have ever had) the day the Sprint-Nextel merger was announced. That is how much I hate the company. I don't care what phone they have.

Only slightly above them is US Cellular. This was the first company I ever used. Dropped calls, never receiving voice mail, shoddy customer service, it was... well, almost identical to my experience with Sprint.

The companies have probably improved over the years, but they left such a bad impression on me that I will never be convinced to go back.

I absolutely hate Sprint. I will NEVER do any type of business with them. I dropped my Nextel phone (which was the best service I have ever had) the day the Sprint-Nextel merger was announced. That is how much I hate the company. I don't care what phone they have.

Only slightly above them is US Cellular. This was the first company I ever used. Dropped calls, never receiving voice mail, shoddy customer service, it was... well, almost identical to my experience with Sprint.

The companies have probably improved over the years, but they left such a bad impression on me that I will never be convinced to go back.

I've never had any of those issues O_O I've probably had them for a good 3 years plus now. Maybe it's worse in your area.

The best part about Sprint is they are so reasonable for their unlimited plan and don't care how much data I use (when I use my laptop tethering and such). You really get your money's worth with them

I've never had any of those issues O_O I've probably had them for a good 3 years plus now. Maybe it's worse in your area.

The best part about Sprint is they are so reasonable for their unlimited plan and don't care how much data I use (when I use my laptop tethering and such). You really get your money's worth with them

You musn't be using as much data as you think your using then. I've heard people get ripped on horrible overages because the unlimited everything plan does not come with tethering. I'm in the same boat as d3. We got Nextel after the Sprint/Nextel merger and the service sucked enough that we only had it a year and forcibly terminated the contract. Even T-Mobile was/is better in our area.

@ClayMeow... in the case of the Touch Pro or Fuse if you do want to customize it, its just as simple as flashing a custom made rom to the phone and your done. You could make one your self too but usually there are the nice people on XDA-Developers who make the roms so others can use their devices in their full glory. Even if the OS on a particular phone doesn't suck I usually use a custom rom to get rid of all the carrier bloat that is on it.

Look up the Samsung Omnia for verizon has pretty much all the same features as an IPhone, got one about 3 to 4 months ago no problems at all

Has a tons of customization for me its like getting a new phone every couple days lol.

They have i think 3 new verisons of the Omnia coming out pretty soon also

Edited by SeV.o3 TwiZZler

Look up the Samsung Omnia for verizon has pretty much all the same features as an IPhone, got one about 3 to 4 months ago no problems at all

Has a tons of customization for me its like getting a new phone every couple days lol.

They have i think 3 new verisons of the Omnia coming out pretty soon also

That phone is mentioned alot on the Touch Pro forums, it's similar to the touch pro in customizability (totally just made that word up :D)