To iPhone or not to iPhone?

ClayMeow

The iPhone's keyboard is adaptive. It learns your typing pattern and adjusts itself to personally suit you better. Hence why using someone else's iPhone is never a good indicator of how well you can type on its on screen keyboard. You have to use one for several days before you can get really good at it. I type faster on my iPhone than I did on my HTC phone with a physical keyboard.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The iPhone's keyboard is adaptive. It learns your typing pattern and adjusts itself to personally suit you better. Hence why using someone else's iPhone is never a good indicator of how well you can type on its on screen keyboard. You have to use one for several days before you can get really good at it. I type faster on my iPhone than I did on my HTC phone with a physical keyboard.

was that sentence for me?? :P

and I'm sure you must have meant faster in the fact that the Touch Pro's (or Mogul, or whatever you had) input lags pretty bad before modded/tweaked, but once modded I don't even see this a competition :lol: (though if you're happy with a touchscreen keyboard more power to ya, i like being able to feel it)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

and I'm sure you must have meant faster in the fact that the Touch Pro's (or Mogul, or whatever you had) input lags pretty bad before modded/tweaked, but once modded I don't even see this a competition :lol: (though if you're happy with a touchscreen keyboard more power to ya, i like being able to feel it)

I like being able to type without having to look at the screen.

Don't flatter yourself, that was for general use. And no, I wasn't referring to lag, I was referring to actual typing speed. I don't think you're qualified to say with any authority that physical keyboards are faster than virtual ones, seeing as how you're incredibly biased against virtual keyboards and I'm going to bet it's safe to assume you've never used an iPhone virtual keyboard for a reasonably long period of time (I mention the iPhone's specifically because virtual keyboards from other companies are pretty bad by comparison).

Hola from my new iPhone :gasp:

Congrats :)

Don't flatter yourself, that was for general use. And no, I wasn't referring to lag, I was referring to actual typing speed. I don't think you're qualified to say with any authority that physical keyboards are faster than virtual ones, seeing as how you're incredibly biased against virtual keyboards and I'm going to bet it's safe to assume you've never used an iPhone virtual keyboard for a reasonably long period of time (I mention the iPhone's specifically because virtual keyboards from other companies are pretty bad by comparison).

Congrats :)

Iphone no, Samsung Instinct yes (So I guess that qualifies it as every other crappy company's touchscreen, and probably will have the rest of this post's content marked as random banter). I gave it a week before I hated it (wasn't the keyboard alone, the phone had NO customization, NO applications, NO battery life). Yes it wasn't the Iphone but I'm not picking on the Iphone directly. It was a resistive screen, so no multi touch but my Touch Pro is resistive and while it still doesn't offer multi touch, it is alot more accurate than my Instinct was even though the screen's smaller.

If I have a short text to type I don't slide out my phone's keyboard, I use the virtual one but what I like about the hardware keyboard, other than being able to feel the keys, is the fact that part of your screen isn't covered by the keyboard so you can type alot more onto the screen without having to scroll through previously entered text.

When you type with the Iphone do you use any type of word prediction system, I was next to a guy on a flight with an iphone and when he was typing almost every word, he would type half of it and then select a prediction.

If you want me to be won over, then let me borrow your Iphone for a week, or however long it takes for the phone to "learn the user".

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Iphone no, Samsung Instinct yes (So I guess that qualifies it as every other crappy company's touchscreen, and probably will have the rest of this post's content marked as random banter). I gave it a week before I hated it (wasn't the keyboard alone, the phone had NO customization, NO applications, NO battery life). Yes it wasn't the Iphone but I'm not picking on the Iphone directly. It was a resistive screen, so no multi touch but my Touch Pro is resistive and while it still doesn't offer multi touch, it is alot more accurate than my Instinct was even though the screen's smaller.

I've used the touchscreens on other phones and they're really bad in comparison to the one on the iPhone. Resistive screens are great when you have a physical keyboard, but not so great when you're forced to use a virtual keyboard. Hence why I only like the virtual keyboard on the iPhone and not all virtual keyboards.

If I have a short text to type I don't slide out my phone's keyboard, I use the virtual one but what I like about the hardware keyboard, other than being able to feel the keys, is the fact that part of your screen isn't covered by the keyboard so you can type alot more onto the screen without having to scroll through previously entered text.

This doesn't really seem like a problem for the iPhone when in portrait mode, but yea, it's a pain when in landscape mode (hence why I don't really use it in landscape mode)

When you type with the Iphone do you use any type of word prediction system, I was next to a guy on a flight with an iphone and when he was typing almost every word, he would type half of it and then select a prediction.

The iPhone has a pretty good predictive text mode and it gets better the more you use it. It also picks up random words you type regularly (mine has learned scrumdiddlyumptious :P)

If you want me to be won over, then let me borrow your Iphone for a week, or however long it takes for the phone to "learn the user".

You know, I somehow don't see that happening. :P

I've used the touchscreens on other phones and they're really bad in comparison to the one on the iPhone. Resistive screens are great when you have a physical keyboard, but not so great when you're forced to use a virtual keyboard. Hence why I only like the virtual keyboard on the iPhone and not all virtual keyboards.

This doesn't really seem like a problem for the iPhone when in portrait mode, but yea, it's a pain when in landscape mode (hence why I don't really use it in landscape mode)

The iPhone has a pretty good predictive text mode and it gets better the more you use it. It also picks up random words you type regularly (mine has learned scrumdiddlyumptious :P)

You know, I somehow don't see that happening. :P

Yeah, my old standard phone (Samsung Upstage) which was an amazing phone, had that predictive text where it would even start recalling slang or emotions I made up myself. For a while my Touch Pro couldn't even match it's speed, but now I'm used to the full QWERTY, and for random spur of the moment words and faces, the Touch Pro trounces it.

I remember the portrait mode on the Instinct was unusable since they were retards and put the letters in alphabetical order instead of QWERTY style so it was really tough to use.

I think my friend just got a 3GS so maybe I'll go play with that. Then find out what further modding I can do to my Touch Pro to surpass it :P

Yeah, my old standard phone (Samsung Upstage) which was an amazing phone, had that predictive text where it would even start recalling slang or emotions I made up myself. For a while my Touch Pro couldn't even match it's speed, but now I'm used to the full QWERTY, and for random spur of the moment words and faces, the Touch Pro trounces it.

I remember the portrait mode on the Instinct was unusable since they were retards and put the letters in alphabetical order instead of QWERTY style so it was really tough to use.

I think my friend just got a 3GS so maybe I'll go play with that. Then find out what further modding I can do to my Touch Pro to surpass it :P

Theres a sort of a hack for WinMo to get pinch and zoom.

Theres a sort of a hack for WinMo to get pinch and zoom.

Is it buggy, i remember reading a thread in ppcgeeks in some theories of how to get it to work with the single touch resistive screen but I didn't know anyone went through with it (plus wouldn't the application have to support that kind of zooming??)